issh , vnc tunnelling to work

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by tips, Nov 30, 2011.

1. tips macrumors member

Hello,
    Looking for reviews on using issh tunneling capabilities and using VNC on ipad2 through the tunnel.

I feel vnc refresh rate is very poor.

The same ssh-tunneled VNC does work OK with PC!.

Need to know if there are some tricks to overcome this, either in issh app or
    some other app, or tweaks in ipad2

2. Lagranger macrumors member

Well, I don't exactly have a solution as to why VNC through an iSSH tunnel is working poorly for you. However, I regularly connect to a number of real and virtual hosts this way, so I thought I'd offer a few random suggestions.

- If you absolutely need to use iSSH to create the tunnel to your host, you might try using a separate VNC client than the built-in one. [For the longest time, this was a real requirement for me since iSSH was the only app that could connect to a host using publickey auth. Now there are several other options. See below]

In other words, Just use iSSH to create the SSH tunnel then launch another VNC app and point it to the local end of the tunnel.

In the past I've found that the builtin VNC client in iSSH to be quite slow. In all fairness, they may have improved it since then (this was at a time when it was about the only SSH client of any kind available for the iPad).

- Although iSSH is awesome for terminal/shell access, you might consider another remote desktop app that does VNC-over-SSH. Here are a few that I've used with great success:

1. Remoter VNC (SSH capability is an in-app purchase, so factor that into the price appropriately).

2. iTeleport

3. Jump Desktop

Notes:

- I believe Remoter VNC is the only client (besides iSSH) that currently allows public key authentication with the SSH host. If you're just using password auth, any of them should do fine.

- Jump Desktop and Remoter VNC (w/in app purchase) also do RDP which may be useful when connecting to Windows boxes. I'm not sure if they both allow tunnelling RDP through SSH though.

- See if the VNC server on the host end can be configured to use different levels of compression. Depending on your connection you may have to crank up the compression by choosing a lossy algorithm for the VNC encoding. The desktop isn't as sharp, but the responsiveness usually improves.

Anyway, hope this helps somewhat. If you're not sure which other app to look at first, my suggestion would be to start with the least expensive and go from there. I've often been pleasantly surprised to find less costly apps that do more than their higher-priced competitors.

Finally, I also hope it doesn't sound like I'm putting iSSH down. It's still my primary app for SSH terminal access. I just don't like its remote desktop capabilities.

3. tips thread starter macrumors member

Thank u ,I will try and update.