Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allen96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
very frustrating, about 30% chance after wake up from sleep, macbook won't recognize its own keyboard and trackpad. and after about 30 seconds everything is fine.

anyone experience this issue and fixed ?
WechatIMG725.jpeg

monokeith

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Yes, I have the same issue on my base-model 16-inch MacBook Pro with 32G of RAM.

It happened 3 times in total, seems to be pretty random.

But mine doesn't recover after 30s, I have to reboot to get it working again.

I tried resetting SMC and NVRAM last night, but now I have wake issue (that it won't wake up) from sleep.

Very annoying issue.

Video:

Last edited:
Reactions: ascender

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
I started seeing this happen on my 2018 15 inch. See thread here
Thinking it may be a Catalina thing, since it started happening soon after upgrading to Catalina.
It happened a few times now. But hasn't happened for a week or so.
I found that closing the lid (putting it to sleep for 60 seconds) and then opening the lid again, usually brings it back to life.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Happened to me once on the 16" not on my 2016 15" which also runs Catalina, maybe a T2 + Catalina, thing as only my 16" has the T2 chip.

I also think I have found some problems with virutual machines (Fusion) giving control to the Mac when the system is coming back from sleep. Did you by any chance have a VM running. I am currently careful to suspend my VM before leaving my MBP.

monokeith

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Happened to me once on the 16" not on my 2016 15" which also runs Catalina, maybe a T2 + Catalina, thing as only my 16" has the T2 chip.

I also think I have found some problems with virutual machines (Fusion) giving control to the Mac when the system is coming back from sleep. Did you by any chance have a VM running. I am currently careful to suspend my VM before leaving my MBP.
OMG that might be the problem. I am always running VMware Fusion 11.5

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018

I think you're on to something there @matram
I just started a Win10 VM... then put the system to sleep by closing the lid.
When I came back a couple hours later, I opened the lid, and I got the error.

jtamac

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
I had the same thing happen to me the other day on my 16" and I do not run VMware Fusion.

Reactions: gryzl

EduardoB

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
I am experiencing the same issue. On a MacBook Pro I have owned for a week. I don't have VMware Fusion or anything similar. I have already reset SMC and NRAM.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Ditto. I'm having the same issue on my brand new MBP 16" i9 32GB.

The screen appears but there's a 30 second delay before it recognizes the keyboard.

Literally had it for 3 days. Fresh install. Not running any VMs.

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
I have a few VMs on my 16 inch and haven't seen this issue. I do have the T2 chip disabled though, not sure if its related. OP you can disable it by booting into recovery and disabling the system protection and see if you still have the same problem.

EduardoB

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
I have a few VMs on my 16 inch and haven't seen this issue. I do have the T2 chip disabled though, not sure if its related. OP you can disable it by booting into recovery and disabling the system protection and see if you still have the same problem.
Wouldn't that disable TouchId?

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
I have a Macbook Air 2018 with Mojave 10.14.6 installed and have the exact same problem!

Never installed VMware Fusion so I doubt it's related to that.

Some people suggest that turning off WiFi prevents this from happening so apparently it's related to WiFi/internet...

EduardoB

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
After the update I am still running into the same issue. Could this be a hardware issue?

vkaam

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2020
I have started experiencing this issue on my 2018 Macbook Pro 13 since the Catalina 10.15.5 update. Doubt this is a hardware issue.
I have a Macbook Air 2018 with Mojave 10.14.6 installed and have the exact same problem!

Never installed VMware Fusion so I doubt it's related to that.

Some people suggest that turning off WiFi prevents this from happening so apparently it's related to WiFi/internet...
It might indeed be a network issue indeed, I do not seem to experience the issue when my VPN is turned off.

Nick Waits

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2020
It happens to me when I am connected via WiFi to my iPhone Hotspot. Then the MacBook gets into sleep mode. After that I am experiencing the problem. No response from touchpad, keyboard for some time, sometimes I also get this weird message window (bluetooth keyboard not found...)
However, when I quit the connection to the iPhone Hotspot and the MacBook falls asleep, after that it works right away.
So it seem that it is some kind of WiFi/Network issue...

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
I've been seeing this issue intermittently too, not sure what could be causing it.

EduardoB

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
I have started experiencing this issue on my 2018 Macbook Pro 13 since the Catalina 10.15.5 update. Doubt this is a hardware issue.

It might indeed be a network issue indeed, I do not seem to experience the issue when my VPN is turned off.
Hmmm, that's interesting since I always have my VPN on. So we have something in common. Have you avoided the issue so far with the VPN off?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK

The t2 chip is most definitely not disabled, just some functions of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.