Issue and Question about Activity/Workout apps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Honey Badger, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

My Activity app on the watch shows that I have only 6 of 30 minutes of exercise today, yet I already went on a 37 minute outdoor walk which I registered in the Workout app on my watch. The activity app on the iPhone also shows only 6 minute of exercise and also shows that I have a 37 minute walk workout.

Shouldn't my exercise ring be completed now on the watch? Anybody know why my 37 minute walk is not being counted towards my daily exercise ring?

Thanks in advance.

2. Betsy30 macrumors member

Did you use the Outdoor Walk setting in the workout app? If so, you might try using Other next time. I had the same experience. There are a lot of threads here discussing the issues of workouts and activity. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it all.

3. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Thanks for responding. Yes I did. I wonder if the watch judges the quality of the workout instead of the actual minutes. Well, on the bright side, it forced me to exercise even more and go for another walk (this time for an hour) in order to complete the ring. :D

4. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

5. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Mystery solved...I found this MacRumors article below and it explains that exercise minutes only count when they are done at a brisk pace that gets your heart rate up. That explains why my initial 37 minute walk was only counted as 6 minutes because I walked with a senior citizen and it was a very slow walk for the most part. Later I walked for an hour by myself at a brisk pace and it counted virtually every minute.

http://www.macrumors.com/how-to/apple-watch-activity-workout-apps/

6. Lictor macrumors 6502

Yes, the watch relies a lot on heart rate... If you walk at a slow pace, it won't register as an activity. On the other hand. I spent a day sitting in a conference room with no A/C. The temperature went way above 40°C, which tends to make the heart beat faster (I have no data. And as a result, my activity ring for that day was completely filled.
    Apple still has work to do to discriminate the different inputs from the watch...

7. Betsy30 macrumors member

It must be learning to read the wearer. I took a 40 minute walk on the day after I received the watch. Average HR was 126 and that did not earn me more than 10 exercise minutes. Today I took pretty much the same walk, average HR 105 (it was in the morning and much cooler although more humid), and closed my ring with 32 minutes of Exercise.