Issue connecting to Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ophychius, Sep 26, 2013.

1. ophychius macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I recently bought an Airport Extreme to improve WiFi in my house. Setting it up was relatively easy yet I run into the following problem. After a short period of time (this can be minutes or hours) a few devices stop connecting to the network, they still see it but will not connect.

In this case it is setup connected to my Cable Modem in bridge mode. My MacBookPro, TV SetTop box(wired), iPad 2 and AppleTV (wired) connect just fine and can use the internet. My iPhone 4s and Sony VAIO laptop will connect and work just fine for a short amount of time before failing. I tested thoroughly if they actually worked so I know for sure they used the network.

What happens is that my iPhone still sees the network, but will not connect (it keeps asking for the password) and my VAIO will connect but not acces the internet or just not connect at all (even though it sees the network).

I have reset and tried over the whole thing a few times now, but everytime the end result is the same. I am really confused and have no clue why it is acting this way. Any suggestions are welcome, if I can't get this to work I will have to replace it with something else but I would be sad to see the Apple Extreme go an be replaced by something with actual vissible antenae ;)

Thanks,
    Rutger

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why are you running it in bridge mode? Can you put your modem into Gateway mode and run the AEBS in NAT mode?

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

What happens, if you give the 5GHz network a different SSID? You didn't mention what iPhone do you have. Is it 5GHz-capable (iPhone 5 and newer) or not?
    Also, what is your Wi-Fi security set to?

4. opinio macrumors 65816

Test some different GHz frequencies in the Wireless Options in the Wireless Tab in the AirPort App. It is set to Automatic by default. Just play around with a few different frequencies.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If your Cable Modem is actually a Modem, the the AE won't work in bridge mode.
    If the Cable Modem is actually a Router and a Modem, then I suggest you switch it into Bridge mode (i.e. turn the Router part off) and run the AE as the Router. Also turn off any WiFi that is on the Cable box. Just use the AE's WiFi.

I am assuming that the AE is LAN connected to the Cable box - otherwise the above won't work.