Issue deleting folders

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vivianne, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Vivianne macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a external drive that I copied all my files from old PC I can't seem to delete the files I no longer need

any ideas on how to delete these files?

Viv

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Is the drive formatted as NTFS? If so Mac OS X can only read NTFS volumes but cannot modify them.

To find out the format of the drive open Disk Utility and select the drive in the left column. In the information below you should be able to find the format.

3. Vivianne thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

This drive was formatted on the imac I used a different drive to move the files over

It is formatted MAC OS EXTENDED (JOURNALED)

4. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

When you try to delete the files, does it report an error message? Or do they disappear, and reappear after you go back.

Check the permissions that you have on the drive. Highlight the drive, and Apple+i, or File-> Get info.

5. miltiadis macrumors newbie

Most likely some of your files are locked. You can see if a file is locked by right clicking on it and selecting "get info". Just uncheck the "locked" checkbox on these files so that they can be deleted. The thing is that a folder or a subfolder can have such a locked file hidden in it, making the whole situation frustrating! So what I would do is download "superemptytrash" from :

http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/sys/setrash/

empty the trash with administrator privileges and get it over with!:D

6. Vivianne thread starter macrumors newbie

7. gaelan macrumors regular

i've done all of the above and cannot get rid of this folder. cmd-i will not let me remove the check mark on the locked box. booting to windows does nothing. superemptytrash does nothing as well. any more tips for emptying my trash. for the record, i offloaded my flash drive that i use on a windows machine.

8. gaelan macrumors regular

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The file in question might have the system lock set. Removing this lock requires booting into Single-User Mode.

To remove it once booted into Single User Mode:
    chflags noschg /path/to/file

10. gaelan macrumors regular

it kept prompting me for a password. i tried my admin password, but would not accept it. i also tried entering nothing and just pressing return...nothing. still confused. my buddy suggested trying a program OnyX. I'll try that tonight.