Issue disconnecting from external display in 10.7.2

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by yojitani, Oct 14, 2011.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I wish I could think of a pithier title for this problem...

Ever since updating to 10.7.2, when I disconnect my MBP (C2D 2.53 Unibody with the removable battery)from the external display the computer's screen has some sort of problem. When I opened my MPB after it had been connected to my external monitor for the first time, the display was ghosting (I think that's the right term). I could see everything but it was like screen brightness had been turned all the way down. Today, instead of ghosting the screen was a multicolor fuzzy blur, not so unlike what happens with some graphics failures. In both cases I can restart and the computer has been fine. I can reattach to the external display with very few issues.

I suspect the problem could have something to do with one or all of the things I did differently this update.

1) I downloaded and installed the combo update. Software update was downloading so slowly I decided to bypass it.

2) I installed the update while the computer was attached to an external display. Carelessness on my part. I almost always run updates with nothing attached to the computer. There aren't any recommendations to run the updates with nothing attached (that I know of) so maybe this shouldn't be a problem.

3) The day before the update I finally ran the fugly ical fix (because it's hideous!).

??

If reinstalling the update might be a good idea, let me know. Maybe this is a common problem?

2. jansdj macrumors newbie

Bad display?

If it looked like this it could be a bad display. I have a 13" MBP from May 2011 that was behaving similar to what you describe and I brought after submitting a case I brought it into the Apple store and they had it back to me with a new display two days later. I thought it was a driver or software update that caused it, but it ended up being a bad display.

Attached Files:

3. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I kind of figured it was an update issue and decided to deal with it when I have time. Since it looks similar to what I have been experiencing, it looks like I should get on the horn to Apple. My applecare is almost at an end! :eek: