Issue: Does your SSD meet benchmark standards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by xopher, Jun 30, 2012.

1. xopher macrumors newbie

So i posted about this last night and it appears my thread got deleted...
    Well... heres another try!

I was just informed by a friend that apple uses both Toshiba (TS128E) and Samsung SSDs in the new 2012 MBAs. After he told me about this, I looked up my MBA specs and discovered my 13'' MBA was built with the Toshiba. He also informed me the Toshiba SSD is known to be a tad slower than the Samsung counterpart.

I decided to use Blackmagic Speed Test app to see if my speed were on par with other benchmarks online.

Here are my results:
    226MB/s write
    448MB/s read

According to a benchmark on osxdaily:
    My MBA should be getting approx 360ish write and 450ish read
    http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/19/macbook-air-2012-ssd-benchmarks-vs-macbook-air-2011/

Whats everyone getting?

2. GreenApple29 macrumors regular

GreenApple29

Hello there
    I got myself a Mac mini and replaced the main drive with a OC Z vertex 3120gb and use it as my main drive
    Tried many times to test with the same app as you but sometimes I got error and s window saying that the file can not be read:(
    Sometimes it shows speeds with a max of 250
    I'm sure that this isn't the expected of the vertex 3 right??

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Sandforce controllers tend to show lower numbers on benchmarks that use compressed data. It's because they handle compression differently from other controllers. The Toshiba drives in the 2012s use Sandforce, as do the OCZ Vertex 3 and Intel 520. Therefore, these drives will report lower numbers using DiskSpeedTest than the Samsung drives, even though performance is similar.

4. GreenApple29 macrumors regular

GreenApple29

Maximum read speed was at 250 which isn't that much
    And the weird thing is that the application that measured the speed didn't completed
    As I said with a message saying can not read test file