Issue downloading files into Excel - weird formatting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MaiaJ, Mar 31, 2010.

1. MaiaJ macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm downloading different files into excel (some tab delimited, some csv, some xls) from different places and they all open in excel with incredibly weird formatting. Basically the separation of each column makes no sense. When other people download the same exact files, their files appear normally, with each category in a different column. So there's something going on with my excel.

When I download a credit card statement, for example, it comes out like this:

"02/03/2010 $18" "82 USPS 35960795520803QPS NEW YORK XXXXXXXXXXXXXX48(Standard Purch)"

With the quotes showing the columns... so the date and half of the price are in one column and the cents from the price and the vendor and the last four digits in the second column.

When other people download this, it's standard:
    Date - Price - Vendor - Credit Card
    With each of those as a separate column.

Any ideas? Maybe some automatic weird Text-to-Columns setting? Please help!

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Are your friends using the same version of Excel and the same OS that you are using? I get weird formatting doing that too, using Office for Mac 2004 and OS 10.5.8

3. Annie in Austin macrumors newbie

Is it possible your version has a period as its delimiter character? That seems to be how it is breaking the columns.