Issue installing Mac OS X 10.4.8

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrs104, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mrs104 macrumors newbie

A few days ago I sat down with all my little discs and accessories prepared to do a reinstall of Mac OS X on my Macbook. I sat my install discs (version 10.4.6) that came with the laptop by my side and stuck disc 1 in. While I was waiting for the first disc to complete my husband sat down next to me apparently without looking down first. He crack my disc 2!!

After a bit of a freak out I went and did some dearching to where I could buy replacement discs. After a day or two of searching and double checking I resigned to just buy the Mac OS X install discs for version 10.4.8

Today I got those discs and put in the first one. I restarted and held down C while I waited. The install screen came up and I clicked continue. After a second the little screen popped up and said it could not be installed on my machine. I tried to reset my machine 3 more times only to get the same message.

Am I doing something wrong? Can I not install these discs because it is not the version my laptop came with? Could it be that since I installed disc 1 of the previous version that it will only except disc 2 of that version and nothing else?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm without a computer for school until this is fixed.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Firstly, where did you buy those discs? Did you buy "restore" discs (the silver color discs) or the retail Tiger discs which should be black with a large X on them. The only place you can buy Tiger is Ebay.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well if you happened to get them from eBay or similar and they are grey in color, then I would say that they are probably not the correct disks for your model as the grey ones (System Restore disks) are model specific.

If that is not the case, you can try booting from the #1 disk by holding down the C key at startup and using the Disk Utility in the menus when it is fully booted to erase your hard drive before continuing with the installation. If the partial previous installation is causing the problem by chance, that will clear it up, but I really fear that it is incompatible System Restore disks.

If it is indeed a problem with the System Restore disks, you can call AppleCare and they will provide a replacement set of the ones that came with your particular machine model (they will ask for your serial number to determine the right type) and will ship them for a moderate fee. The last time I did that a couple of months ago it was $32 shipped for the two disk set.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Not trying to contradict that, but there are still several suppliers that have and sell Tiger retail disks, though none at the original price unfortunately! ;) That subject has come up several times recently and I among others was able to find at least 5 or 6 firms in one that still had them, the cheapest being about $149. Several Amazon Marketplace sellers have them too, but the only reasonably priced ones are used.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Oh...thanks much, I stand corrected. Anytime something's discontinued the first place well look to is Ebay.

6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

The retail version of Tiger shipped only as PPC. The DVD did not include any way to install on Intel systems. Why you ask? I assume Apple considered the retail version of Tiger to be an upgrade for owners running 10.3 and lower. Intel Macs started shipping with Tiger so there was no reason to offer an upgrade option.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

There have been several reports that the last retail version revision (which apparently was 10.4.6) did contain a Universal Binary build to allow for installation on Intels. I have never taken the time to verify that and have just accepted it as reported, but I do know someone that has one so will verify in the near future for curiosity!