Issue installing several apps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by PedroCR, Dec 27, 2009.

1. PedroCR macrumors newbie

Hello all,

When I installed Avatar on my iPhone 3GS I got this error message from iTunes: "The Application Avatar was not installed on the iphone because its resources have been modified".

I then tried to install thru the iPhone's app store and it was successful, but the game is always crashing and made my phone really unstable (other games started to crash).

I've done as full restore thru iTunes, a reset with the Home and Power buttons, a reset thru iPhone's settings, and the issue remains.

I even reformatted my macbook thinking it might be an itunes or other software issue that was corrupting the downloaded apps... obviously it wasn't.. but i'm running out of alternatives here...

I got the iPhone for christmas so I doubt it's a hardware issue.

The above problem happens randomly with all the apps I purchased or even the free ones (I've tried to run Skater Nation Free almost 30 times and it always crashes right after the loading screen)

thanks in advance guys!

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

You did a restore - but did you try the "set up as new" option?

that is what the genius wants me to do for some safari crashes. It basically will start you over, then you can re-add apps (yes, you will lose some data this way depending on how your apps save it, which sucks, which is why i haven't done it yet).

Otherwise, you appear to have done everything else - and i would say that it probably IS a hardware problem is the set up as new doesn't work.

3. PedroCR thread starter macrumors newbie

set up as new did not fix the problem.. tried it 3 times already... what kind of hardware problem you think it is?

i'll probably head to the store tomorrow and change it for a good one...

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

Hop online - if you are going to an Apple Store - and make a genius appointment, otherwise, you might have a wait.

http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

I'm not sure on what kind it would be - but you have gone well beyond the troubleshooting they will expect to see. I know they are willing to replace my Touch for the Safari crashes - but need to see a "current" restore/set up as new. However, i deleted a bunch of apps a few weeks ago - and haven't had a crash. So perhaps mine was some app causing the problem.

Have you tried when it is fresh just putting Avatar on it then? Adding them one by one and see what might be mucking it up? Are their reviews on the game that says it is crashing?

5. PedroCR thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah! i've tried that also! hehe

the last set up as new i made, i installed n.o.v.a., played it a little bit and everything was ok

next i installed dexter the game, played it - OK

played n.o.v.a. again and it was running perfectly!

then i installed avatar and got that itunes error... then, when i installed avatar from the app store on the iphone, it would crash every time i ran it and the previously installed games would become unstable (crashes, some graphic glitches...)

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

OK, since you have nothing but time on your hands today :D.....

Do the reverse and try Avatar first and see what happens.

This might or might not help too.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memory-sweep/id320954758?mt=8

7. PedroCR thread starter macrumors newbie

just done that :p

after another set up as new, i just installed avatar, and it runs perfectly! i'm now installing the rest of the games!

annnnnndd... just got that itunes error message saying one of my games was not installed because its resources have been modified... it seems that after a set up as new restore on the iphone, i can't install more than 3 or 4 games without getting error messages or game crashes...

i'm about to try the app you recommended and will post the results in a minute! but, wasn't OS 3.x supposed to fix the memory management bugs present on the OS 2.x??

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

You have exhausted my technical knowledge - i was just trying to save the day! LOL!!

I have never seen that message crop up before, did you search on it in the Apple forums? Or in the iPhone forum here?

I didn't see a lot of crash reports for Avatar - which is also lending me to think it's a hardware issue (unless, you are running cracked apps and didn't mention that part ;)).

Hopefully someone will have been down this path and you can find an answer. I'd jot down everything you have done in order - and have that to hand to the genius. I wouldn't expect them to do anything other than replace it without any more hoops.

9. PedroCR thread starter macrumors newbie

from what i can tell, the memory management is ok... memory sweep does not report anything strange...

no cracked apps here heheh everything legit! never done the jailbreak with this iphone!

anyway thank you SO MUCH for your help! i'll go to the store first thing tomorrow!

best regards