Issue-iPhone 4S unlocked-bought @applestore California

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mamuam, Nov 16, 2011.

1. mamuam macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2011
    Hi guys,just to know,I wrote to at&t:
    Good day,
    I would like to get in touch with you directly in order to solve the following problem:
    Purchase of no. 2 iPhone 4 S color white 16GB AT&T at the Applestore located in California,last November 8 for $700,92 each, tax included.
    Both devices have been started with a different carrier than AT&T since the very first run and then used for 4 day in the States, 1 in Germany and 1 in Italy with no problem at all. Last Monday I tried the following action from Italy: SETTINGS>GENERAL>RESET>ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS. I then switched on the device and this message popped up on the screen: The sim card you are using is not valid (translation from Italian). I got in touch with the Apple care USA-Apple care Italy-Apple Store where we recently bought the two unlocked devices and I got the same reply from everybody saying that I should provide IMEI and ICCID codes and ask AT&T to unlock both cellular phones because the devices had been bought at full cost and they are therefore UNLOCKED devices. The phone came with an AT&T card that I have never used. Together with the phones, we also purchased two APPLECARE FOR IPHONE contracts for 99$ each.
    A contact would be appreciated in order to attempt a solution, whether possible. What I would like to receive is an AT&T valid reply to my inquire.
    Best Regards.
  2. acfrazier macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2008
    Unfortunately, since you purchased AT&T locked phones, despite paying full price AT&T will not unlock them for you no matter how many times you ask. This has been their policy since the iPhone first came out in 2007. I don't know how you managed to activate on another carrier originally, but you're screwed now.
  3. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2009
    No, the phones that were bought were unlocked to begin with. Why these became locked is a mystery as many people have done the restore and their phones remain unlocked.