Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Have a friend with an issue on iPhone 6S. The health app is not registering anything, steps etc. iPhone been swapped by Apple, recovered with iCloud backup, but same issue.

So now we've been asked by Apple to start afresh and see if issue hours away add they are now thinking it's a software bug...

So obviously everything is backed up via iCloud, contacts, email, photo library etc.

If we start as a new iPhone straight away we can see if the issue goes away, but then we can't recover from an iCloud backup.

So how can we start as a new iPhone, but then still get the contacts, photo library, email etc back, one at a time to make sure all works with health app.

Once setup as a new iPhone then we'll do another iCloud backup and delete the original backup.

Thanks

Last edited:

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
United States
Set up the iPhone as new. Once you sign into your Apple ID then all of your contacts and such will transfer right over to the new device. Photos and email and all that should transfer over as well, especially if you had iCloud photo library on (on the original phone), and turn it on on the new phone. Even if you didn't or dont have iCloud photo library on, I'm pretty sure the photos will still transfer any how.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You can still get your contacts, photo library, emails back even if you start as new. Since you mentioned that it is stored in the iCloud, so you should be able to get those back no problem. However, if you do start as new, then you will lose all text messages.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Ah ok so the only thing I'll lose is message lists?

So basically if you have everything iCloud wise switched on, using iCloud backup doesn't do that much extra really?

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
United States
Ah ok so the only thing I'll lose is message lists?

So basically if you have everything iCloud wise switched on, using iCloud backup doesn't do that much extra really?
correct. You will be okay setting it up as new, everything will transfer over except for the text messages that you had on the old phone.

Word case scenario, you can always restore again from the backup.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks for replies, worked fine. They weren't bothered about the messages so was easier.

It also fixed the bug on health....a new setup as iPhone, health worked... Strange software bug then...?

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
Thanks for replies, worked fine. They weren't bothered about the messages so was easier.

It also fixed the bug on health....a new setup as iPhone, health worked... Strange software bug then...?

Did you maybe have this setting turned off?

(Mine is off, I don't use it)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 64

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
That was on, the iPhone was took to Apple also and checked and they also gave a new (presume refurb brown box) one as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.