Issue occurring with my MacBook Pro Late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pianoblack3, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Pianoblack3 macrumors regular

Hey folks! Well, i'm running into an issue with my 1 and a half year old MacBook Pro 15" (I'll post the specs at the bottom of the post if that helps) which has only happened out the blue. I'm hoping you can all help. I'll put this post into two parts, the long story, and the short.

Long Story: Last night, I was browsing the web on my notebook when I decided to watch a few videos on YouTube, of course I don't opt with the HTML rendering solution for YT so it was indeed using Adobe's 'Flash' which btw I had just updated only an hour or two before the incident. While watching YouTube, I went onto Facebook and seen a video sitting on my news feed, and clicked it. I had no trouble watching it the first time. My fans started to kick up, but me thinking that it was more or less the computer saying "Hey, i'm a tad hot, let me just cool down" so I didn't give it second thought.

I then - while watching YT still - decided to watch the video again, fans still blazing, and as soon as the video was just about to commence my computer completely crashed. I've had it freeze before, nothing a little hard reboot won't fix am I right? But this was an outright crash, as not even my courser was responsive nor was the computer wanting to attempt to go to sleep when the lid was shut over! (I could tell, because the Apple logo stayed lit, which as you all know - i'd imagine - is the screens own backlight).

So I thought, "Hmm, this is a tad different". Obviously I was correct, as I then held the power button down to shut the computer down (and shut the fans up!), I rebooted and got the bong, the whole lot. Then when it came to getting to the log in screen, I was greeted with the grey screen that precedes it, but it wasn't for going away. I rebooted (Hard reset, again) and no luck for a second time. By now obviously I knew there was a problem, so I turned to my knowledge of start up commands, and first reset the SMC, just incase it was tied with any of it's procedures. It wasn't, and I was faced with the same thing. I then tried booting into safe mode, this time when it got to the log in screen large glitches started occurring, and just through the odd flicker I could see my log in screen (It looked all warped like when you got bad signal back in the days of analogue TVs, and the picture didn't quite come through.), alas no luck as the flickers reduced it to a white screen and wasn't controllable (And I do believe, had I stayed on these screens longer the fans would have kicked up, as I heard the pitch change before I was turning them off again).

So, no luck so far, all I really had to check was the VRAM/PRAM and maybe see if I could boot into the recovery partition. Reseting the VRAM/PRAM (Command, Option, P, R) I had no luck again, just a grey screen with glitches (Which may I add were always unusable every single time). I tried to boot into a partition but when it got to the partitions account (Recovery HD, yes i'm using Lion) and desktop, it would go grey again, just like my normal partition.

So, what the hell? It became apparent that my computer was in a spot of bother. I tried hooking it up to an external screen, and booting into safe mode and here is where it gets interesting, I was greeted with a black screen (but not switched off) and then I got a 'Beep, beep, beep'.

Short Story: Three beeps and a gap would suggest it's memory, AKA RAM. So, it's something to do with either the RAM, or the GPU, which essentially would need a full logic board repair. What do I do?

Specs: MacBook Pro Late 2011 15" 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7, 4 GB of RAM, Mac OS X Lion, 500GB Hard Drive

The computer has never been opened by me, I take great care of it so it's never been dropped, nor does it ever get too dirty. (However the internals may be a tad dusty, I was going to clean all that soon, looks like I have to now.)

Thanks in advance :)

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I think your GPU is fried, if you get the same when you startup in Recovery (The grey screen-with artefacts) it's almost sure to be the GPU.

Three beeps on startup is RAM though, but if you have this the Mac shouldn't even startup.

3. Pianoblack3, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

Pianoblack3 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, that's incredibly concerning then. Should the GPU be that easy to fry? Surely I shouldn't be seeing the Apple logo if that's the case?

I've opened it up and the computer is absolutely manky, lots of dust, hairs and remnants of what I believe is biscuit. Looks like i've got more to do than I first thought, thanks for the quick reply!

I'd also like to add that I haven't backed up my Mac in, well, ever :S

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hope not for you but if you get artefacts like that on the screen something is going on with the GPU(And no Output to external screen), hopefully after cleaning it it will recover.

5. Pianoblack3 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, no luck. Sitting at a black screen. Should I still be able to control the computer when the GPU is fried, or am I totally out of luck? Firstly. i'm going to try and reset the VRAM once more.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The problem is, you need to switch on Remote Management before you can control the Mac, since you can't login you can't change the setting.

The data should be safe on the Mac, you could use Target Disk Mode to get the Data of the HD, but you need another Mac for this.

7. Pianoblack3 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah! Thank you, never thought of Target Disk mode, I do have access to other Macs. Your help is much appreciated!

8. Pianoblack3 thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to ask one more thing, would changing between either the integrated graphics or separate graphic card help? I have the Intel integrated and AMD separate

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yes, most likely it will, the problem though is, how do you get it to start from one or the other!
    I know if you startup in safe mode Apple's own graphic drivers are used, and I am pretty sure it will use the Intel HD graphics, now, if the integrated graphics are fried you're really out of luck since they are located on the CPU, but that seems to be almost impossible, wouldn't the CPU be damaged as well?

Btw, have you tried to use Apple Hardware, if not do so, hold the D key at startup and see if you get into AHT to do some testing.

10. Pianoblack3, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

Pianoblack3 thread starter macrumors regular

I am actually doing that as we speak, I ran the quick test and it says everything is a-okay, but i'd disagree. So i'm running the extended testing now, i'll post back with results!

I'm off to try and find how to get onto the AMD card or visa versa (Whatever one isn't broken), but i'll need to wait a while for this hardware test to finish

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Do you have a bootable backup, if so try that later, maybe,well hopefully, your OS graphic driver('s) are screwed and another bootable system would actually boot.

12. Pianoblack3 thread starter macrumors regular

If by bootable backup you mean DVD with an OS on, no, not for Lion. I don't have a time machine backup either (My fault). My fans are really kicking up hell on this hardware test, i'm only getting further concerned :p

13. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Oh, forgot, you already mentioned that in your second post, it's a shame you don't have a backup otherwise it would be a bit/lot easier.

14. Pianoblack3 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, no worries. Well I done both the quick and extended hardware tests, and both of them returned saying it was fine. Hmmm, i've tried Verbose too and nothing seems fishy. I'm making it do a second hardware check, in the meantime i'm going to try and find out about the GPU.

15. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I'm starting to think the HD is faulty, reason is you can't even use Recovery.

What happens if you get into internet recovery, I think the keyboard shortcut is Command-Option-R.

16. Pianoblack3 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I really don't think it's my HD, after all the symptoms and alot of people experiencing the same thing. I'll give that a shot though!

----------

Okay, i've got the same issue again. Some glitches and then a grey screen. It's dead annoying now, i'm still looking into the discrete graphics idea, seems like a no go. Will keep you updated justperry :)

17. Pianoblack3 thread starter macrumors regular

Sent away by Apple Store this morning, lets see what the situation is!

18. Pianoblack3 thread starter macrumors regular

Long story short, it was a logic board issue. Apple wanted to charge us £400 odd quid for a replacement, but i'm sure you'd agree that is outrageous for something i've only been using for 17 months, and has not once been pushed beyond it's capabilities, no wrongly used or abused.

Turns out the European law was on our side, and people living in the EU get covered by a two year warranty out with the Apple warranty if you come under certain features (Such as, the computer had never been abused etc etc). Bringing this up with the Apple Care over in Cork got me the repair free of charge!

So it's back and working, but I only get 90 days warranty on this logic board, despite the fact it's now a refurb and they ship with 1 year warranties.

Thanks for your help at the start of this issue justperry, was most appreciated :)!

19. Doward macrumors 6502a

Shame that happened. Sounds like the system overheated and wasn't able to throttle/shut down fast enough.

20. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Luckily you are living in Europe, anywhere else and you had to cough up $$$.

Apple or any manufacturer which sells $2000 Laptops should have at least 3 year warranty on the Logic board, actually on the whole Laptop.

Happy for you it is solved, hope it last more than 17 months now.

21. Pianoblack3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much :) Yes, I do agree, if Apple think their products are so reliable, why aren't we seeing 7 year warranties on our machines?