Issue reinstalling X11

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by synth3tik, Oct 1, 2007.

1. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A month ago I did an archive and install on my MBP. After that I was unable to load X11. The icon would not even appear in the dock. I brought the application to the trash and tried to install it again, but the installer said I had a newer version on my machine. I checked to make sure I did not leave any pieces of X11 on my computer (IE perfs and that what not) but nothing. I only really use X11 to ssh into the servers at work, so I never did anything like install fink or gimp. I seem to remember this issue before, but I could have sworn that before all I had to do was delete X11 and reinstall 1.0 followed by the update. Any ideas on what might be happening? I have tried emptying the trash and restarting the computer before a reinstall with no luck.

Right now it's not all that big of a deal as most of what I have to do for work requires Win XP, but come Leopard I will be getting rid of XP and would love to get X11 working.

Thanks in advance.
    E,

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have to delete the X11 receipt before the installer will be convinced that X11 is not installed.

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Where are you getting your X11 from? Install DVD or downloading from Apple's website? If you are on Tiger, you need to use the install DVD.

4. synth3tik thread starter macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Download. I have the box for my MBP in the far back of a closet.

5. synth3tik thread starter macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I just took a peek into the system library and did not see any X11 receipt. The only ones in the user library are adobe.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Like he said, the download won't work with Tiger. You must pull it off the install DVD. The download WILL NOT work.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Look in the Receipts folder for X11User.pkg.

8. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Downloadable version will not work. It is for 10.3. Just get X11 from your install DVDs.