Issue: Removing hidden Mac files for PC veiwing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lukek1, Apr 6, 2010.

1. lukek1 macrumors newbie

Hi all, hope you had a great Easter.

So at my office we move from logic (obviously mac based workstation) to a PC workstation to upload audio files.

We've encountered a growing issue which is the hidden .DS and ._* files.

These files are hidden in every folder on mac but when we move a folder with say 100 audio files bounced from logic to a PC every audio file has a ._ alias and each folder has a .DS alias.

Right now the only way we can fix it is manually removing all the hidden files on the PC. We have tried a Terminal script that removes the ._ files but they seem to just recreate themselves.

We have a great collection of technically minded mac users here who I'm sure have experienced this issue when working cross platforms, I'm hoping one of you has found a solution?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to use Onyx or one of the other programs like it to tell the Mac not to create these files on the network drives.

Of course, you can also type this in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The posters above me are spot-on regarding network drives. However, if the way files are being transferred is NOT via a network drive, then an alternate solution is needed. The way I deal with this problem is by using the (paid) application called BetterZip, or the zip command in the Terminal. Both methods work, but their simplicity of use is different.

In BetterZip all that needs to be done is to set it to Compatibility Mode, drag the folder to the BetterZip window then click Save Archive.
    If you elect to use the Terminal method:
    1. cd to inside the folder to zip
    2. zip -r Archive.zip * - zips everything
    3. zip -d Archive.zip *.DS_Store - deletes those DS_Store files from the archive

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I use BlueHarvest for my network drives and USB flash drives

5. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

i´ve set Path Finder as default explorer .. it does NOT create any of those files anywhere.. of course u shouldnt have to buy an app as basic as that ... :)

6. Arrandale macrumors regular

this was a huge issue for me at college
    i had my windows installation set up so that it would hide files beginning with a '.', so it worked the same as a mac