Issue trimming clips in iMovie for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pedz, Jun 25, 2010.

1. pedz macrumors regular

Trying to trim the end points of a video clip in iMovie for iPhone and am having trouble. When I drag the starting point it seems to effect the ending piont, and vice-versa. Anyone else experience this? I tap on the clip, then tap on the handle, then drag, but after dragging the other end of the clip also seems to have moved.

Any help would be appreciated. While functionally limited I think it is a pretty nice app actually (assuming I can figure this out).

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Chimpware macrumors regular

This is just a bad optical illusion, when you check the clip it actually adjusts correctly, I just tried it. When you try to trim the beginning of a clip it looks like the end is being trimmed, but it is not, it just looks that way during the trimming process.

3. pedz thread starter macrumors regular

I must be doing something wrong (even though it seems simple enough). Because when I adjust the start point (and only the start point), then play it back I see the end point has changed in the actual playback???

4. Chimpware macrumors regular

That is very strange, I have tried this 4 or 5 times after reading your post and I do not have this issue. When you are trimming the beginning of the clip can you see the start point changing in the main video window?

5. pedz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies, I think I figured it out, it is an interesting one.
    - I originally pulled in the start and end points, shortening the clip on both ends.

- I then tried to move the start point back a bit (i cut too much off the beginning). In doing this I think I dragged the marker past the beginning of the clip.

- Dragging past the beginning of the clip forced the software to extend the end point. I guess it thinks that I want to extend the clip by that amount no matter whick end needs to be used.

I have been able to reproduce this pretty consistently. I guess it wouldn't be classified as a bug but it is pretty bad behavior if you ask me. It is very hard to see where the clip starts/ends while trimming it (if there is an easy way please let me know) so this seems easy to do, which can cause some real headaches.

I will just be careful when working around the edges of clips. If anyone feels my above description is wrong or they have anything to add would be happy to here it (if you are trying it yourself make sure you pull in both markers first, otherwise you won't see the behavior if you only manipulate one marker).

Thanks,
    Peter