Issue when using phone app with people hearing me.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone4UK, Sep 26, 2011.

1. iPhone4UK macrumors 6502

Quite recently and for no reason when i try and call someone i get a nasty crackling noise and then no one can hear me but i can hear them. i first thought hardware but i tried the voice memo app and it worked so its obv software. thinking this i restored it worked for a few hours and then the same issue again. I've searched the internet but can't find anything. any help?

2. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I get that crackling noise too every few calls. I can hardly hear them but they can hear me fine with no interference. I have no idea what causes it because hanging up and calling again seems to temporarily fix it

3. iPhone4UK thread starter macrumors 6502

mine happens every call. like i say must be software. is it a bug apple know about?

4. iPhone4UK thread starter macrumors 6502

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, if this has been occurring only in the last few days, then you might want to check this out. :)

6. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

My phone over the last few weeks has exhibited behaviour where the remote party cannot hear me, whether I make or receive the call. Very frustrating. I tried rebooting, updating to 4.3.5, doing a full restore (set up as new), and still callers could not hear me.

I ended up taking it to the Apple Store yesterday, where a Genius looked at it. He tested the voice memos app to be sure that the Mic itself was working, then declared that it was a hardware failure of the noise cancellation mic. Because I'm an early adopter (day 1 phone), I was 94 days out of warranty, and therefore all he could do for me would be a $199 replacement.

I told him that that was a shame as I can't see spending $199 on a replacement iPhone 4 when my upgrade is ready for AT&T and I'll be getting [whatever Apple releases], probably on launch day.

Once I got home, i took the two screws out of the bottom of the phone, took the back off, and went at the noise cancellation mic with some compressed air. [YMMV, No warranty, etc.] I figured I didn't have anything to lose - worst case scenario something breaks can callers can't hear me. ;)

To my surprise, when I made a test call after putting the back back on, callers heard me. It's been working fine since then, so hopefully whatever was causing the issue has been rectified.

If not, at least I will be getting a new iPhone next month and I can start the cycle anew.

7. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

Spoke too soon. Callers cannot hear me again. Wish there was a way to simply disable the noise cancellation mic. Now my phone is good for anything except being a phone.

On the bright side, I don't have to worry about signal issues now, and the new iPhone is pretty close.

8. iPhone4UK thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems to get more and more confusing. i installed the GM last night tried to back a call and it worked i was amazed!went to bed with the iPhone as my alarm so left it on. tried to make a call in the morning and the same issue again loud crackling noises and hearing nothing. so is it software or hardware?

9. iPhone4UK thread starter macrumors 6502

Still not working. Planning on sending to envirophone and spending the difference on a 4GS. unless some can help?