Issue with 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CSHawkeye81, May 18, 2011.

1. CSHawkeye81 macrumors member

The CEO of my company has a 2011 Macbook Pro I set him up with. Recently he has reported that whenever he leaves his laptop idles for 15 minutes or so all the applications that he had opened are closed and it kicks him back to the login screen. Was wondering if that was a hardware issue or something in the security settings I can adjust??

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

it's sending him to the login to ask for his password?

that can be changed in system preferences, but even if it's enabled it shouldn't be closing any applications...?

3. CSHawkeye81 thread starter macrumors member

Correct, I am going to find some more info but I think it could be a security feature setup on his mac he might have turned without knowing. What else could it be??

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

not sure what could cause his programs to quit, never have heard of that before...

if you go to system preferences, securtiy, you will have an option that says:

require password _____ (mins/hrs) after sleep or screen saver begins

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Are you sure his open applications are actually quitting? Or is he just assuming they quit when his computer sits idle for a set amount of time and then automatically goes to a login page? When he logs back in does he actually have to re-open the applications?

6. CSHawkeye81 thread starter macrumors member

I will check this out tomorrow and run some tests to see what he is reporting.

7. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

I haven't had this happen since 10.2 days, but it sounds like WindowServer could be crashing. Could be a background application or you might need to reinstall OS X.

8. Inside_line macrumors regular

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

The problem isn't the Macbook, it's the idle CEO. Get him a stopwatch and tell him to stop slacking off.