Issue with Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mohicanspap, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mohicanspap macrumors regular

I have a slight problem with my Airport Express. It's nothing big but it is annoying. To begin I have a WDS local network at my house. I use a Airport Extreme in my main part of the house and a Airport Express for my back part of the house i.e. the backyard. Now every two weeks or so my internet speed through my Airport Express slows down about half the speed but when I am connected trough the Airport Extreme my speed is normal. I know this because I test my connection very often. Now when I want the Airport Express to get back up to speed I have to unplug, and plug it back in. Then after awhile it starts to slow down again in a time period of two weeks or so. Why does this happen and is there anyway to stop this? My Extreme never had this problem before.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

-Craig

2. Archive macrumors member

This might be a different problem, but are you sure that the Airport Express slows down, or could it be possible that it freezes up and the slowdown is due to the wireless network only having the range of the Airport Extreme.

I ask this, because I know the unplugging and replugging of the Airport Express from my own setup. Had three Airport Expresses which I tried with an Extreme in a WDS setup.

All three Airport Expresses freeze regularly and the network speed would go down. Replugging them would bring them back up. Still, it is annoying as hell.

3. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

Well I certainly hope it is not the Airport Express freezing up. Is this possible to prevent? IT is really difficult for me to access my Express to unplug it and I would rather fix the problem permanently.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can reboot the express through airport utility also

Are you sure you're connected to the express when you are at "full speed" instead of directly to the extreme?
    One of the things that doesn't get mentioned often about WDS is that for every jump your speed drops roughly in half. So if you're connecting to the extreme through the express, you should expect to see "half speed".
    If you were making 2 jumps, you would expect 1/4 speed when connected to the furthest base.

5. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

Well I can't be too certain if I am connected to the Extreme whilst doing a speed test but I will let you know that I am roughly 120Ft away from the Extreme while being 15Ft away from the Express during my speed test. So I can just assume that I was connected to the Express during such time. When I do a speed test after a fresh plug-in from the Express I can match the speed from my Extreme as if I was in my house and not the back yard. Also I always have full wifi bars. But I'm pretty sure that the bars just mean I have signal from a Airport device and not internet connection. I only get three or less if I am using Time Machine to back up in my backyard because I know that the computer can't backup through the Express.

P.S.
    Doing a restart in Airport Utility is unsuccessful.