Issue with Airport WDS

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by arnoz, Oct 16, 2011.

1. arnoz macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a AirPort Extreme that distributes a WiFi network. On top of that, I've got 3 AirPort Express that are connected to the Extreme via WDS (actually, in "extend network mode", I think it's the same).
    The issue I have is that a computer and an iPhone which are at the totally opposite way of the Extreme are still trying to connect to that one instead of the Express that is literally 1 meter away from them...
    I therefore don't have any connection on this computer most of the time.

What can I do to prevent the computer to connect to the Extreme or to tell the computer to always connect to the best WiFi around (since sometimes I'm working in another room or something).
    Thanks.

2. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

The airport expresses are configured to extend the original network and are rebroadcasting the same wifi SSID / password?

The AE's are doing this wirelessly or are wired to the AEBS?

When you set them up, did you do it manually or by using the wizard?

Does the computer see the same SSID twice, or just with a really low signal?

If you connect your computer to the AE with a cat5 cable, does it get a stronger signal?

3. arnoz thread starter macrumors regular

The Expresses are wirelessly extending the network of the Extreme. All their stats in term.
    I set them up via the wizard.
    The computer only sees the SSID once everywhere, but I can ALT click the WiFi menu to see some advanced stats and these suck in my office. I tried many other things but my computer still connects to the farthest Extreme, when I'm in the kitchen for example it connects correctly to the nearest Express.
    If I'm connected to the Extreme via Ethernet cable I get the full blown speed.

4. arnoz thread starter macrumors regular

5. Kasalic macrumors regular

Try knocking them down to b/g mode, I've had issues where connections have been better and more reliable that way.

6. willieva macrumors 6502

You should make sure there isn't a problem with the express in your office. Since you can connect to the express in your kitchen, swap that express with the one you are having trouble with.

7. arnoz thread starter macrumors regular

I already swapped them, didn't change a thing. I also tried using only the APX in my office and it worked.
    I'll try changing to B/G mode, thanks.

Do you guys know if the "extend network" feature is the exact same thing as WDS? So a computer should always connect to the best signal strength?
    I'm beginning to wonder if that mode allows more than 1 repeater...

8. willieva macrumors 6502

They're not the same thing. The older g express only did WDS. The newer n ones extend the network differently.

Your computer should find the most powerful connection automagically.

When you are connected in your office, if you run the airport utility do you see the airport express in your office?

9. arnoz thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I see all Airports.
    The APX in my office is not reporting any issue either.

10. matspekkie macrumors member

The thing here is that the airport express needs to have a reasonable signal from the extreme if not it will not work. try different spots in the office it might pick up the signal better in one place than another. Still the best way to overcome this is have a cable from the extreme to the express then it will work for sure.

11. arnoz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, i'll try that. Cable is not possible unfortunately.

12. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

I've had POOR performance with AE's... I have 3 here and I just have crap throughput, let alone extending an AEBS.

I know others will tell you they've had success, terrific for them.

My only solution for extending on a budget was to use a second AEBS. No cabling, and vastly superior connection and repeating.

13. willieva macrumors 6502

You could also try placing the airport express somewhere between the office and the airport extreme. There might be a sweet spot where you get the best performance in the office.