Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spydervenom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
I currently have my mac mini running mavericks hooked up to my TV via HDMI. I've had no issues with it in the past, but just yesterday I noticed that my audio wouldn't work though my system (I have a pioneer receiver). I can play audio though my speakers on the mini, but they will not work though the system.

I played my xbox which is plugged though the system and it seems to be playing audio perfectly.

I checked all the audio settings and can't seem to come up with a solution.

Anyone think they have an idea of what it could be?

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I currently have my mac mini running mavericks hooked up to my TV via HDMI. I've had no issues with it in the past, but just yesterday I noticed that my audio wouldn't work though my system (I have a pioneer receiver). I can play audio though my speakers on the mini, but they will not work though the system.

I played my xbox which is plugged though the system and it seems to be playing audio perfectly.

I checked all the audio settings and can't seem to come up with a solution.

Anyone think they have an idea of what it could be?

how do you send the audio to the receiver? toslink or hdmi?

if hdmi is going to your tv and toslink to a receiver, your mac is currently setup to send audio by using through the HDMI. Go into the control panel, open the audio module. You will see a few tabs (input,output,...), go into output and select the digital output beside hdmi.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
how do you send the audio to the receiver? toslink or hdmi?

if hdmi is going to your tv and toslink to a receiver, your mac is currently setup to send audio by using through the HDMI. Go into the control panel, open the audio module. You will see a few tabs (input,output,...), go into output and select the digital output beside hdmi.

I agree to run a Toslink optical cable to your receiver...attached an optical mini jack, such as this one I recently purchased from this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131085113803

Then, select audio output to headphone in system preference.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I agree to run a Toslink optical cable to your receiver...attached an optical mini jack, such as this one I recently purchased from this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131085113803

Then, select audio output to headphone in system preference.

you select output when you want to send ANALOG output, digital output requires you to use DIGITAL out.

Using a toslink cable with that adapter will only give you DIGITAL. If you plug a RCA 'Y' cable to the receiver, then you select the headphone output.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
you select output when you want to send ANALOG output, digital output requires you to use DIGITAL out.

Using a toslink cable with that adapter will only give you DIGITAL. If you plug a RCA 'Y' cable to the receiver, then you select the headphone output.

So, you are using an analog receiver...you should have shared that instead of Pioneer. You were asking for help, and when you got it, you appeared to be insulting. The Mac Mini is both analog and digital in the same headphone jack...at least the late 2012 model.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
So, you are using an analog receiver...you should have shared that instead of Pioneer. You were asking for help, and when you got it, you appeared to be insulting. The Mac Mini is both analog and digital in the same headphone jack...at least the late 2012 model.

wooo.. slow down, I'm not the one having the issue. I don't ask for help and never said I had a Pioneer.

I'm trying to clear your confusion about the preference panel, that's it.

calm down and read again.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
wooo.. slow down, I'm not the one having the issue. I don't ask for help and never said I had a Pioneer.

I'm trying to clear your confusion about the preference panel, that's it.

calm down and read again.

Okay, sorry...both names seem similar at first glance; however, what confusion are you referring to? Audio out, whether analog or digital, is only to the headphone jack which was what I said above, isn't it!

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
Okay, sorry...both names seem similar at first glance; however, what confusion are you referring to? Audio out, whether analog or digital, is only to the headphone jack which was what I said above, isn't it!

analog or digital audio will be the headphone jack, with that, you're right.. the wrong part was the control panel, it`s not the same audio output definition, you have analog and digital and you must select the right one for the type of cable you chose.

have a good day

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
analog or digital audio will be the headphone jack, with that, you're right.. the wrong part was the control panel, it`s not the same audio output definition, you have analog and digital and you must select the right one for the type of cable you chose.

have a good day

Thank you for the good day; however, I think the confusion is on your end about audio out. On my late 2012 Mac Mini, only has ONE audio out which is the headphone. In the control panel, ONLY has headphone out. There's NO selection of either analog nor digital. The Mac Mini does the selection automatically when either an analog 1/8 jack or the optical 1/8 jack inserted.

Where's the OP...has your issue resolved?

ACMemphis10

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2013
Thank you for the good day; however, I think the confusion is on your end about audio out. On my late 2012 Mac Mini, only has ONE audio out which is the headphone. In the control panel, ONLY has headphone out. There's NO selection of either analog nor digital. The Mac Mini does the selection automatically when either an analog 1/8 jack or the optical 1/8 jack inserted.

Where's the OP...has your issue resolved?

Well... I'm going to through my hat back in the ring. The OP was a little vague with the way he has equipment set up. Like I said before, I recently bought a mini and I had audio issues with digital set up.

I hooked up my mini to a thunderbolt display and the audio jack was digital out to my receiver via toslink optical cable. The sound DEFAULTS to the thunderbolt cable (I guess because it is carrying the video signal or it's just easier for people that don't know $h1t about a/v stuff to hook it up). Either way it was a little frustrating even for me to figure out. Even tried the midi setup utility. The last poster was right, the software does it for you automatically. For some reason, there is no setting in mavericks that allows you to separate the audio and video feed. The Soundflower app referenced allowed for 64ch in/out audio. Additionally allows you to configure speakers based on your individual setup.

heavymetals

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
LINEIN is a neat little utility that makes monitoring the line in source very easy.

I ended up downloading LINEIN, AU LAB & SOUNDFLOWER to "fix" my audio problem.

Now, with AU LAB I have a very nice equalizer also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.