Issue with Bluetooth on a late 2008 MBP after Optical Bay drive removal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SeanGoodwin, Dec 14, 2014.

1. SeanGoodwin macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I apologize if this has already been discussed in this forum, as I found varying threads of similar topics with different solutions.

The backstory behind this is that I've recently taken my HDD and moved it into the optical bay via an adaptor tray, and an SSD where my primary HDD slot is in my late 2008 MBP. Despite being careful when taking things apart and reassembling, it appears I've inadvertently lost my Bluetooth capabilities.

It was working perfectly before the replacement, as I regularly use this computer with a wireless mouse/keyboard/speakers. My initial findings discovered that the cable connecting the iSight camera and Wifi also contain the connection to Bluetooth (please correct me if I'm wrong on this). Despite my caution with unplugging this cable and reinserting it, could I have ruined it enough to disrupt the Bluetooth but not the iSight camera or Wifi? Both of those work flawlessly.

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable twice and resetting the SMC, along with a few small procedures that seemed to help other users with the same issues. I have not reset the PRAM yet or dug into Library~Preferences to remove/replace a config file.

For what it's worth, everything else on the computer using both drives seems to work flawlessly (as in, I haven't encountered any other issues yet). I do have my preferences remaining on my HDD rather than my SSD, where my SSD contains the OS/Apps. Not sure if this could cause a problem, since the Home Directory for my User is now in the HDD that I've used for years.

Does anyone have any experience in remedying this situation? I frequently rely on Bluetooth for my profession, so I'm thankful that holiday vacation is quickly approaching. I'll watch this thread carefully in order to respect the helpful members of the forum. Thank you in advance!

2. SeanGoodwin thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I have tried resetting the PRAM numerous times to no avail, and under where I have my /Library/Preferences folder, I don't see a Bluetooth file. Not sure if there's supposed to be one there or not. I looked inside the separate /Library/Preferences on my SSD (note: not where my computer pulls its preferences from) and there's a couple files containing information about Bluetooth.

Would I possibly be able to move these files over to my old /Preferences?