Issue with display

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by seeforyourself, Jun 1, 2019.

1. seeforyourself macrumors 6502

Hey guys!

I own a 44mm 4 series sports band and I love everything about this device BUT the display.

I like to have it on the dimmest setting all the time, and I noticed in very dark settings the display isn’t uniform. The whole left side of the display is lighter than the right side.

I brought it to the Apple store near me and the genius guy noticed it and sent it to the repair center. 3 days later they sent it back and didn’t repair it saying that it’s normal.

The genius guy that brought it to me says that it’s normal behavior for this device and it’s not a big deal.

My boyfriend has the same exact watch and doesn’t have this issue.

Is this something I should get a second opinion on?

Attached Files:

2. StumpyBloke Suspended

StumpyBloke

There is no way that looks acceptable to me. What brightness setting do you have your watch set at?

There are literally thousands of reports of the screen not being 100% uniform, and that is to be expected, but certainly not to the degree that yours is showing in the picture. Would you say that that picture is an accurate representation of the display in real life?

3. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

It’s a little dimmer than the dimmest setting.

4. StumpyBloke Suspended

StumpyBloke

I’m sorry, I don’t understand… That doesn’t make sense. Which part of my question are you answering there?

5. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

You asked what setting I had it at and it’s at the dimmest setting. At night it gets even darker I guess to accommodate with the dark setting.

6. StumpyBloke Suspended

StumpyBloke

Mine goes no where near that dark (on the RHS of your screen) on lowest brightness, but for clarity I’m not in a dark room. I still maintain yours ain’t right.

Edit: If I put my watch in theatre mode and then alter the brightness with the Digital Crown it will go much darker but still stays equal across the screen.

7. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine does it with theatre mode and without.

I usually leave it in theatre mode since my battery life increases dramatically.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2019 ---
    [​IMG] This is it displaying a dark photo.

8. StumpyBloke Suspended

StumpyBloke

And that brightness is minimum? In theatre mode or not?

9. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

More noticeable in theatre mode

I took this pic in theatre mode

10. StumpyBloke Suspended

StumpyBloke

That is terrible!! No way is it right. Push for a replacement.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I personally would get a second opinion on this. It’s hard to tell from your pictures, without seeing it in person, but if you compare your Apple Watch to another Apple Watch Series 4 and yours appears notably dimmer, then yes, it could be a defect with the OLED panel.

12. richard371 macrumors 68020

This is a very common issue with the oled screen on the aw4. There is a thread with a poll about it and more then 50 percent have the isssie to some degree. I think it’s a lot more but many people don’t know what to look for. The aw uses non Pwm oled which are more susceptible to uneven brightness at lower beignets levels. Hi can try cherry picking to get one a little better or worse lol.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2019 ---
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...series-4-merged.2147301/page-11#post-27355930

13. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

My boyfriend has the series 4 as well and he doesn’t have the issue.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2019 ---
    My boyfriend has the series 4 as well and he doesn’t have the issue.