Issue with dual boot

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by dylin, Jan 28, 2014.

1. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

I have a mountain lion partition, and i have a Mavericks partition.

[​IMG]

My main issue is that while in either OS, i can still see files from the other partition.

Is there any way to make them completely separate from each other so i can't view files from the either side?

thanks for the help.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... you will always be able to see that second partition.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You won't see files from the other partition if you unmount (eject) that partition.
    I'm sure there's a way to prevent the mount on a restart (or script that unmounts the other drive automatically), but I don't need to do that, so don't have that fix at hand.

4. dylin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dylin

ah, was hoping to not see this.

Hmmmm, so are you sayin that if i unmount, it will just make the drive no longer visible to the mavericks partition? and if i restart, will it be mounted again (not that is a problem or anything)?

Just want to find work arounds to these just to make the experience a bit less troublesome.

Thanks for the responses you guys. :)

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... you could setup an Applescript or something to unmount it for you at boot if you want.

6. dylin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dylin

Alright, if i unmount the primary partition, will it affect the system at all while im in my mavericks partition?

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What do you mean by "primary" partition?

You only mentioned two partitions.
    If you are booted to Mavericks, then the Mavericks is your boot partition, and you can't eject your boot partition.
    But, you can eject (unmount) the _other_ partition.
    The boot partition is the one that has the system that you are booting from. You "could" call that your primary partition, if you like.
    So, that will depend on which system you are booted from.

8. dylin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dylin

Ah sorry, Mountain lion is my main partition or rather the main OS i use. I created a partition to put mavericks on to try by itself.

So the mountain lion partition is set up as my startup disk, and have to hold down the option key when i restart to access my Mavericks partition.

While i am in my mavericks partition, i am able to see the mountain lion partition, but im not sure as to whether or not it will affect anything if i un mount it.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you use any files or documents, or use any applications from the other partition, then, yes, unmounting the other partition will certainly affect some things.
    If you don't need to see videos or pictures, or listen to music, or the variety of files that you might have on the other volume that you DO use while booted to THAT system - then, sure, you should unmount the other volume.

10. dylin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dylin

Alright thanks, ill go update with info when i get home to test it out. Thanks for all the help you guys.