Issue with duplicate songs in Music app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iChillax, Mar 9, 2016.

1. iChillax macrumors regular

iChillax

Hey everyone,

I'm dealing with an issue that's extremely frustrating. My songs are being duplicated on my iPhone 5s and I can't figure out how to make sure there's only 1 copy on it. This is how it's appearing on my iPhone with one hard copy and the other being from the cloud. I'm currently running the most up-to date iOS.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
    [​IMG]

2. iChillax thread starter macrumors regular

iChillax

3. MacknTosh macrumors member

Do you use iTunes Match? I have in the past, and never renewed my subscription. I found that after subscribing to iTunes Match that I was getting multiple copies of the same song on my iPhone - for some albums, I found that I had up to 3 copies of every song!! I don't know how it happened, but I could only solve this problem by switching off iTunes match, deleting all music on my iPhone and then re-synching the music back onto my iPhone via iTunes.

As it happens, when Apple Music started, I took advantage of the free trial, and within days noticed that I was again getting multiple tracks duplicated on my iPhone. Not surprisingly, I decided not to start paying for a subscription.

I can't help but think that when Match or Music were used, songs were getting uploaded to the Cloud, and then pushed back onto the phone, even though a copy already existed on the phone (doesn't quite explain how I was frequently getting up to 3 copies, but I don't have particularly high expectations when it comes to having Apple manage my music library via the Cloud...).

4. The Equalizer macrumors newbie

The Equalizer

It's been reported on here a few times - you have to switch on "Only offline music" in Playlists.
    I'm on 9.0, crucially I also have to kill and restart the music app for it to pick up the changes.

5. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I have seen this too. The only difference is I buy music from iTunes Store, and here I have duplicates of purchased songs. No duplicates for synced ones.
    Now I am in iOS 9.3 b6, and I can see no duplicates. That doesn't mean upgrading to iOS 9.3 could solve this problem though.

6. roccobladr macrumors 6502

I had similar issues as I had iTunes Match in the past but did not renew and now have Apple Music. Here's how I fixed it but note that this may not necessarily be your best option...

Go to the album (or individual song) that is a duplicate.
    Hit the three little dots
    Press delete
    If you are on Apple Music you can just download it again/add to your library.

I'm not sure of the long term ramifications of this such as what happens when I stop using Apple Music as some of these songs are ones that I have uploaded to the cloud from iTunes Match but for me it's worth the hassle of not having duplicates and I have a backup on my hard drive anyway.