Home Issue with Ecobee3 and Apple HomeKit

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by hokiepokie07, Feb 11, 2017.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

When I try to use the Goodnight Scene on Apple HomeKit, it does what it's suppose to do with everything, but my ecobee3 gets knocked off its schedule. It turns it to the temperature I have set on my ecobee3, but in the morning it's not heating up at the time I have set on my schedule. I contacted ecobee and they stated it's an issue where HomeKit trumps the ecobee3 scheduled.

Does anyone else have this issue and if so, have a solution for it? The only thing I can think is to take my ecobee3 off the Goodnight scene.

2. chuyn macrumors 6502

This is true, asking Siri to set a temp will set the thermostat into permanent hold so it won't change when the next schedule comes up. What you can do is set an automated scene for sometime in the middle of the night for the ecobee to "resume schedule". That way, when you're going to bed and activate the goodnight scene, it'll do what you want. Then the resume schedule scene in the middle of the night should kick it out of hold and back to its programmed schedules so that the morning temps will activate when they're supposed to.

You should be able to set this up in the ecobee app's HomeKit area or through IFTTT. I had it set through IFTTT so it would "resume schedule" as I approached home but I was also able to see a resume schedule scene in the app's HomeKit scene list.

3. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I'm looking at the ecobee3 app and I have the scene for Goodnight to use "Comfort Setting" and under "Choose a Comfort Setting" I have "sleep". So when I tel Siri to set "Goodnight" when I go to bed, it should keep my schedule on ecobee, right? Meaning, in the morning it should continue with my set schedule and have the temperature at the correct setting that I want when I wake up. Or will this not work?

4. jljue macrumors regular

It sounds like it is holding the comfort setting, just as if you set the comfort setting manually at the thermostat or Ecobee app. You will have to have IFTTT or another timed event set the thermostat to resume schedule.

5. chuyn macrumors 6502

This is what you currently have and what you're saying isn't working in your first post? If so, it's because yes, setting a scene using Siri/HomeKit sets a permanent hold. In this case, it is set to hold your sleep comfort setting until you ask Siri to change a different scene or to tell it to resume schedule.

It's unfortunate, and annoyed me as well, but that's just how they've got it set for temp changes through HomeKit. You'll need to tell it to "resume schedule" before morning manually or automatically.

I actually ended up not even including the ecobee in any goodnight/good morning/etc scenes. I just left it to do its schedules on its own accord. I even rarely asked Siri to change the temp because I would forget later and it would hold that temp all the way till I went to sleep/wake and notice it in the morning.

6. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if I have the scene Goodnight on my ecobee set to resume schedule, it should continue with my schedule and in the morning warm up or cool down to my scheduled setting, no?

7. chuyn macrumors 6502

This should work, yes. Though, I've only tried using the "resume schedule" command for coming home (geofence) or on its own to get rid of a prior hold setting.

8. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

What do you have in Settings, Preferences? Default is to hold until told to do otherwise. I have mine set as "Until next scheduled activity". It should move on with your schedule at the next time setting.

9. chuyn macrumors 6502

This setting does not affect holds from Siri. Using Siri to adjust the temperature will be a permanent hold. Adjusting the temp physically at the thermostat with that setting will move on to the next schedule, but not when the temperature is adjusted through HomeKit/Siri for some reason.

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Hope that changes for the people that use it. I have setup everything with effort and leave it alone to do its thing. I will ask what the temp is but I do not change it manually now that its going.

11. chuyn macrumors 6502

I hope so too. I had mine set to just do its thing too. But for the odd time I wanted to adjust it, it bugged me enough that I preferred to just use the app or physically at the thermostat rather than using Siri