issue with Excel and saving

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sir42, Feb 5, 2017.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

I've been working with a particular Excel file that always open up "unsaved." Most Excel files I've worked with don't need to be saved until I make a change to them, but this file always up and needs to be saved.

Is there a link or circular function hiding somewhere in the file that needs to be corrected? If so, how might I find it?

thanks!

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

Is there some automatic recalculation going on in the workbook? If there is automatic recalculation happening - for instance, use of the =TODAY() Function or other similar functions, the file is "changed". Consider setting recalculation to "Manual" as opposed to "Automatic", if that's the case.

3. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for this! Do you know if there's a way to search for these functions in the file? I don't recall adding anything like this but it's not impossible.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

Use Excel's "Find" Command - not the "Search" Command. The Find Command is under the Edit Menu or invoked by the Control-Shift-F Keyboard combination. There are dozens of Excel Commands/Functions that automatically update/recalculate upon opening unless you dictate otherwise via VBA calls.

Also - this is what I do when proofing my Excel cells - use the "Show Formulas" Command in order to see all of your entered data, it's a toggled function.

And, keep in mind that you could have a formatting error - a formula that is formatted as text will not calculate unless it's formatted as "General", and vice versa in that you may have typed some text and not formatted it as "Text", therefore Excel is attempting to execute a function instead of simply displaying text…