Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Hello, I purchased final cut express 1.0 when it came out and never really used it much. When 2.0 was released, I decided to do the upgrade and get serious. Anyway, I bought the upgrade and a book and began to read. But, I felt I was still not grasping everything. I got busy at work and never got around to using it. I just bought a new imac and decided this time I would really devote time to learning final cut express. I go to open up my 2.0 version and it will not work because of my imac's graphics card. (I apparently need the newest version.) I go to a workshop at my local Apple store today and the guy just explains everything fabulously. I feel comfortable purchasing the newest upgrade version. So, I go home and try to install it, and it asks for my previous serial number. I pop it in and it will not take it? I call Apple and explain the situation. They said that I have to use my original serial number for the 1.0 version that I had. However, I included my 1.0 discs with a Powermac I sold a long time ago. So, I called the Apple store and the gentlemen that gave the lesson to me this morning told me to come in and they could help me out. Well, I go in and I was given a few websites where I can try and find a working serial number for FCE 1.0. I would rather not do that, that is why I buy the software in the first place. I have my receipts for my 2.0 and of course the one I bought today. But, Apple said they cannot help me? I would of purchased the student edition this morning, if I would have known all of this. Now, I have paid for three versions of FCE and cannot use any of them? What should I do?

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
Ok, so you are trying to upgrade an upgrade for which you don't have the serial number. You either get the original serial number from the person you sold the PowerMac to, or get Final Cut Express HD Full Retail. Maybe they can exchange it if you tell them you purchased the wrong box, thinking it was the full version.

Thats about all you can do.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
MacAficionado said:
Ok, so you are trying to upgrade an upgrade for which you don't have the serial number. You either get the original serial number from the person you sold the PowerMac to, or get Final Cut Express HD Full Retail. Maybe they can exchange it if you tell them you purchased the wrong box, thinking it was the full version.

Thats about all you can do.

I am not sure if they will let me return it. I had totally forgotten that I sold the first version I had, it was so long ago, plus I have the box for 2.0. I would not mind returning it for the full version. But, he told me to come on in and he would take care of it. But, when I came in, he said that I am out of luck, so he gave me a paper of some websites to get a serial number. I am just frustrated, mostly at myself. But, it stinks that FCE 2.0 will not work with the new imacs anyway. Plus, I just bought the new one and spent 107 bucks and I have nothing for it. It is partly my fault, but it stinks.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Update, they let me return it and purchase the full version. I learned a lesson today!!:p

tonicardo

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2004
Anyway to get FCE2.0 to work on new imac

Anyone know a way to fix the problem other then throwing money at it?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Check out the apple discussions on Apple's website. I saw some people were able to get it to work by deleting some plist file. Good luck...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.