Issue with Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by seladore, Apr 29, 2008.

1. seladore macrumors newbie

Hope this is going in the right place...

Has anyone else noticed that the scrolling in Firefox just isn't as smooth as in Safari? There is always a slight 'jitter' to it, which gets pretty annoying, which isn't there in Safari.

I have played with all the options (smooth scrolling etc.) but can't change it.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Safari's smooth scrolling depends on whether you have it checked in the Appearance System preference Pane, while Firefox has its own checkbox in its preferences window. As for Firefox's being "jittery" I guess I don't really notice it but it does behave differently than Safari's.

3. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Just to check — are you using the two finger scroll on a trackpad of an Apple Notebook?

I have found Safari is always much smoother scrolling and the “jitter” as you describe seeing in Firefox gets quite annoying after a while.

4. seladore thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I am.

I really want to like Firefox, but the scrolling issue is annoying. And I like the pdf handling of Safari.

And it spellchecks better.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

for smooth scroll, firefox 3 is doing very well by default, if you want to fine turn everything, install YASS (yet another smooth scroll) extension .

spel checker is better? what do you mean?

Attached Files:

6. seladore thread starter macrumors newbie

I just find the spell check on Safari offers more intuitive and better options. ]

A few times, I have been slightly confused about the spelling of a word, and decided to guess and let the browser correct me. Firefox often doesn't have the obvious option, whereas Safari always seems to.

I have heard so many good things about Firefox, but in every way Safari just seems better...

7. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I didn't, until I read this post. Then I opened up Safari and compared the 2. (I generally use Firefox.) I did notice that Safari was smoother. But after going into Firefox's preferences, and checking "Smooth Scrolling", the problem seems to have gone away. They both seem OK now. :D

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

The good things have been floating around are mostly about firefox's out-of-box functionalities and extensions. I think, also about up coming firefox 3(in beta 5 now).

Anyway, did you try YASS extension to adjust the smooth scroll?

Its fine whichever you like, maybe indeed safari seems better in every way that you use it, safari is a simple, but capable browser, there is nothing wrong with that. I do appreciate you trying firefox :).

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Maybe because Safari uses the system wide spell checker, so if you add a word to the Dictionary in Mail or Pages, then type that word in Safari, it will recognise it. Try typing it in Firefox and it will flag an error.

It the above was typed in Firefox, then I think we have quite conclusively proved beyond all shadow of doubt who has the better spell checker. ;)

10. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

This is my problem. The smooth scrolling when using two-finger scroll seems to take a moment to start scrolling, and then it keeps going for a little bit after I've stopped scrolling. Almost like it tries to "accelerate" and then "slow down," and it's very difficult to stop on the right part of the page. It responds just fine with smooth scrolling off, but then it's all choppy and I don't particularly like it that way.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes indeed, if you are apple all along, mail+page+ical+safari, lol, bundle is bundle, there are always benefit from bundling of course. I m not really an all-apple person, so that has limited influence on me.

And yes, I will post back when firefox uses OSX system spell checker, if it ever get flagged and implemented.

again, YASS might solve your problem.

12. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I'm trying it out right now. It's definitely an improvement over Firefox's native smooth scroll, but none of my tweaks have yet to get it nearly as smooth as Safari's scrolling. I'm guessing it's probably because both YASS and Firefox assume I'm using a scroll wheel, and the "continuous" input from the two-finger scroll is much different from the "incremental" input from a scroll wheel on a mourse.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the fine tune of the parameter is needed, goto addons, and open YASS's preference, the best fit I found is to set "stride size" to 95, its a very sensitive number, so adjust carefully.

Edit, my setting, pre-set #3, set smoothness lower (about 80) and stride to 95,

14. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Strange. I find that far too sensitive and very awkward. The closest to Safari's scroll I could get was by making "stride size" very small.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

smaller stride size makes scrolling slow. but by no means mine is perfect, I just can't invest too much time in that, way too many parameters for a simple task.

I think smoothness and stride are two most important factors, if smooth scroll is a must, you can fine tune it and let me know what numbers you like most.

16. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I don't really know what's so funny.

Before Safari, we didn't have a good Web Browser on OS X. Firefox was still in beta when Safari was released. Netscape 6 was slow to the point of being unusable (not the rendering engine, the application) and IE was lagging in web standards support.

I have used Mail since OS X shipped and never had any problems with it. I think it gets better with every version and is now a better piece of software than MS Outlook.

They don't have to be Apple apps. I could knock up a (very basic!) word processor in Xcode which uses the built in spell checker. All Cocoa apps have access to all the services should they need them.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, I admit system wide spell checker is better, im simply saying its not that important to me, if somebody is in great need for this and has been using all the other apps you mentioned and need collaboration them with browser, stay with safari, or camino for now, thats indeed fine with me.

I do know mozilla has this plan for after-3.0 version, so Im definitely NOT saying its unimportant for other people who need it.