Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
I use iPhone and iPad simulator to test web sites, since El Capitan when i load i web site that has animations i get spinning beach ball, even apple web site.

Tha spinning ball appear most of the time when i start to scroll and i guess is performing some javascript reveal and loading.

The problem is that I can't use ii any more.

I already try to delete device and download them again but did not fixed.

Should I try to uninstall simulator, or do i need to uninstall Xcode?
Any other idea?

I have a mac mini i7 with 88% free CPU and 16Gb ram 6Gb used

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
While I don't know what the problem is I have to ask, why don't you purchase or borrow the real thing to test your web site?

The simulators do not always work the same way as the actual device and iOS running. Most iOS developers know that often something works well on the simulator and then has a slightly different behavior on the real device. The reason is these are just simulators working on an Intel device which is simulating the ARM processor (and various other processors, graphics, radio, etc) of the iOS device.

al404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
While I don't know what the problem is I have to ask, why don't you purchase or borrow the real thing to test your web site?

The simulators do not always work the same way as the actual device and iOS running. Most iOS developers know that often something works well on the simulator and then has a slightly different behavior on the real device. The reason is these are just simulators working on an Intel device which is simulating the ARM processor (and various other processors, graphics, radio, etc) of the iOS device.

i test web sites and it would be too long to test on a real device every time a make a change
most of the time simulator is accurate, when i get to the final stage i test on a real device

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
You've probably already tried this, but I'll throw it out there anyways.

Have you tried changing the settings for which version of iOS the app targets or changing the device?

Do you use 3rd party libs/APIs?

If it's a website, can you load it into a regular browser and view the code? Maybe it a compatibility issue or maybe the site knows it's a mobile device and acts different (runs mobile only code).

al404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
i did try to delete all device and download some again, i didn't try to change iOS version
i don't have any 3rd party library

rendering in a normal browser is a little different, i also use some scripts that check if i s a small desktop browser or if it is a mobile browser

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Ok, so you create the website yourself?
I'd start by checking a different version of iOS. If that's the case, look for changes to the mobile browser between versions of iOS.

I'd also remove anything that acts different if it is a mobile browser. Maybe make a #define or something. Then see if that works. Then look at the code and see what's going on only under mobile browsers.

al404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
I'm a web developer, it is my job :)

This morning ( here is 9:55 am ) i just reboot my mac and open xcode and simulator seems to work correctly
maybe is other app or safari extension in the web browser that could cause the spinning ball

tinger crossed :)

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
To help diagnose hangs and slowdowns you should use ActivityMonitor.app and Console.app. Look at the CPU trace in Activity Monitor to see if there's something using up all the CPU time. Check Memory usage there. Look in Console.app for errors or other issues related to the Sim.

FWIW, I've been having a very slow launching of the Sim for a while. Looking in the console indicated there were some errors when launching the Sim related to older Sims. I deleted the older Sims and things got somewhat better. It's a little faster launching the Sim now, but not really as fast as it should be. I still see errors also in the console.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.