Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phatzer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Hello,

I've had a quick look over to see if anybody had the same issue and thought I'd ask for some advice.

I bought some Apple in-ear headphones with remote and mic (cost me about £60). Now, they've been very good and I still stand by my decision to pay as much as I did for some headphones, however the control has stopped working.

Now, it just didn't work at all, then I packed it all up ready to go back to the Apple store with them, but ended up getting them back out to listen to something, and to my amazement they were working perfectly again.

So, this morning I get them out the packaging again after packing them up, the control is not working again.

As frustrating as an intermittent issue can be, Apple have been utterly useless on the case. I originally popped in to an Apple store (which I must say is no closer than an hours drive away) with my headphones nicely packed away and was told by one "useful" member of staff to go home, get the receipt and make an appointment.

First of all, am I not right in thinking the headphones have not been in production for a year yet? So what on Earth is that all about?

So, after being told where to go by one member of staff, I thought I'd call AppleCare to save giving one of these numb-nutters the satisfaction of making me do another 2-hour round trip. On the phone, they asked me which headphones there were, I detailed the price, where I got them, and the exact name. They didn't know what I was talking about, and I was put through to an iPod support line with "an issue with my iPod" (I DONT HAVE AN IPOD, I HAVE AN IPHONE (argh!)), to which I told them it wasn't an issue with my iPod, but my headphones instead. At this point, I had the same conversation as I had before.

Finally, I got through to somebody who knew what I had (I think), and then started asking me for a serial number. Surprisingly enough, there's no serial number on the box, maybe because it's just an accessory? I had every other code under the sun apart from a serial number on the barcode label. I was then told to go back to the Apple store with my proof of purchase.

What I'd like to know is of any other way to get a replacement set of headphones instead of spending money on petrol to deal with somebody like the person I saw before in the store? I have proof of purchase so that's no issue, although my biggest concern is that I'll turn up with the headphones and they'll start working so I have to go back AGAIN.

On a final point, a genius bar appointment has to be made for the iPhone, because it asks for a serial number on the booking system, which I DONT HAVE BECAUSE IT'S AN ACCESSORY!

As you can tell, the whole thing has really wound me up!

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Thinking you were from the US, my first reaction was that this is the kind of Kafka-esque, hypertension-causing consumer experience that we often suffer in the UK. Then I noted where you were from. :D

In any case, sorry to hear of your woes.... Apple really should bite the bullet and open more stores in the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.