Issue with MacBook Pro waking up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Greenhoe, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Hi,
    I've had a new MacBook Pro for about 1 month. When I'm not going to use the Macbook Pro for a few hours I'll close the screen but still leave it on, but every once in a while when I come back to use it I open it up and the Screen stays blank and will not light back up again even though my keyboard is still lit up and the Macbook pro is still on. This only happens like 5 percent of the time but is annoying as I have to shut it off improperly then reboot it. Any reasons on why its doing this and how I can fix it. Thanks John

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I had this problem a lot with my old iBook G4. It happened about 40% of the time. They didnt have a solution for the problem 2 years ago, but they said to reset the PRAM and the NVRAM and all the others. It worked for awhile, but it came back weeks later. I never got to the bottom of it because Apple replaced my iBook a few months later due to mouse and LB issues.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

OP when you say "shut the lid but keep it on", what on earth do you mean!?!? you cant shut the lid and keep the computer going....

please explain!

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I'm guessing he just puts it to sleep, instead of shutting down and then closing the lid?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that would make sense, i would recommend he downloads the widget "Deep Sleep" from apples website, install that and make sure that "Regular Sleep mode" is "QUCIK" and "Widget Sleep mode" is whatever he wants.

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Sometimes, mine switches off when I wake it from sleeping by opening the lid. I can hear the hardware come to life, but the screen will stay blank and the computer will then shut itself off after a few seconds.

7. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

What I mean is that I have the computer on and I simply close the lid, which puts the laptop to sleep. Then Once I open it back up a couple hours later I will hear the harddrive come back on although the screen will stay off.

8. Fabiano macrumors regular

It happens to me sometimes, what I do is to close the lid and open again, usually it solves the problem. Mine is a MBP early 2008.

Also I've noticed that with some games there is a problem with the sleep mode, if you use password protection to wake up the system. If you are playing a game in full screen, and with the game still opened you close the lid, when you try to wake up the system, usually you will get back to the game screen, or a black screen, but it will be blocked since it is requesting the password to wake up but you can not type in since the game in full screen is blocking the screen, and its not possible to quit the game. Then you end up having to force a shut down. This is quite annoying, specially when you are playing in battery mode and forget to plug the charger, then the battery goes low and the computer goes to sleep. The games I noticed it so far are Age of Empires 2 and Quake 3 Arena.

9. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I have a Unibody MBP and mine does this about 25% of the time, but ONLY when Mail is running.

I've learned to quit Mail before putting the computer to sleep...kinda sucks, but whatever...

10. fearthegecko macrumors newbie

same issue.....

I'm having the same issue with my 2.4 ghz Aluminum MBP.

What he means is that you just close the lid and leave the computer alone, therefore putting in the screen saver, but since the lid is shut, it's just like the comp is sleeping.

I noticed the same thing happens with mine if i have it set to go to sleep automatically after a certain amount of time.

Whether it happens after actually being put to sleep or after i've just shut the lid, i'll open the lid and hit the spacebar or trackpad, like you would normally do to wake up the computer, and instead of it coming back, the computer remains completely unresponsive. The only way to get it back is to reboot, which is really getting old.

Any help is greatly appreciated.....

11. sal macrumors 6502

noticed this would happen sometimes. since the last firmware update that fixed sleeping issues, the problem seemed to have gone away

*knocks on wood*