Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Hi guys,

So, I wanted to do a fresh start with my 2016 MBP, so I just made a factory reset and updated it to 10.13.5. Since all my Messages are now on iCloud, thanks to 11.4, I activated the "Messages on iCloud" option in the Messages app on my Mac and expected all my conversations to be downloaded on my Mac. However, it's been a while and it's still "Downloading messages from iCloud" but nothing has shown up (except texts and iMessages that I've sent or received since I wiped my Mac).

Is it normal?

Last edited:

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
My experience was different. It downloaded all my messages PLUS a whole load that I know for a fact I've previously deleted - even from before iCloud Messages, so where they were being stored despite being deleted, I do not know!

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Enabled Messages in iCloud for iOS, yesterday, and let it sync . . . iMessages go back to 5/14

Enabled Messages in iCloud for MacOS on MBP, this morning, and am letting it dl/sync . . . iMessages go back to 6/16

Just enabled Messages in iCloud for MacOS on the 5,1, and it's currently downloading/synching . . . iMessages go back to 8/16

...let's see what tomorrow shall bring ;)

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
For me, messages in icloud works with all my device but if I delete a message from my mac, it didnt delete on my other iOS device, but if I delete on my ios device, it will delete fine on macOS...

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
EDIT: Problem solved. In my iCloud settings, "Keychain" was unchecked on the Macbook that wasn't showing the checkbox option to enable messages in iCloud. I checked it, and now in Messages > Preferences > Accounts, I now have the checkbox option to enable messages in iCloud.

I'd delete this post but I'm not sure how. But maybe someone else with the same problem will find this message and can try what seemed to solve the problem for me.

------

I have another issue with Messages on iCloud.

On one of my two macs, I don't have the checkbox option "Enable Messages in iCloud."

I do on the other Mac (both are 13" macbook pros, both were updated to macOS 10.3.5 via App Store updates). And Messages on iCloud is working fine on my iPhone X and iPad Pro 10.5 (both running iOS 11.4 official release).

I have two-factor authentication enabled.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any suggestions.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For me, it looks like working once enabled. Lot's of message synced to the Mac. However, today, it seems the Message stop receive new message (the Mac side, iPhone is normal).

So that I disable Message on iCloud (all device), and now everything back to normal.

Once again, Apple disappointed me. Release a new function that not really ready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.