Issue with Mobile Optimised Web Sites

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Q-Dog, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off or disable whatever it is that identifies the iPad as a mobile device?

I have been to a few web sites that will only load the mobile version of their site. More often than not the mobile version is hobbled and looks like ass. It would be fantastic if I had a choice to load the regular version versus the mobile version.

2. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

You could try an alternative browser; the "user agent" string is what identifies a browser and some other browsers let you change this so that the browser appears to be a desktop browser. Atomic Browser definitely does and I wouldn't be surprised if iCab also let's you do this.

However by now most web-sites will have modified their detection code so that the iPad will be shown the right content. If a site is still sending you to the mobile version then it's probably because their normal site doesn't work on the iPad in some way. Sometimes this is because the web-site hasn't put the effort in to support the iPad and sometime this is because of limitations in the iPad's browser. In either case changing the "user agent" will only allow you to see the broken site, it won't do anything to fix the problems.

3. Q-Dog thread starter macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Well, I guess I'll have to research browsers then.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

All the other browsers (icab, atomic browser, life browser, skyfire) have the option to "identify browser as".....