Issue with MyWi and iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrat93, Nov 21, 2010.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I am trying to use my iPad with my iPhone with MyWi. The iPad connects fine, but whenever I lock the iPad, it loses connection and I have to go back into settings and reconnect. I'm running the latest version of MyWi on my iPhone 4, and I have iOS 4.2GM (first build) on my iPad. The iPad has no issues staying connected to my home network, just MyWi. Has anybody else had this issue? Should I try updating to 4.2.1? Thanks.

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, MyWi doesn't work exactly like the wireless router you have at home does, and it may be that this is (at least partially) related to the "why."

Wireless routers/access points create what is called an "infrastructure" network (all devices that want to talk to each other have to relay their traffic through the AP), while MyWi causes your phone to broadcast an "ad-hoc" network (peer-to-peer, essentially...there is no intermediary device).

PCs often see and treat these two different types of networks differently (XP, for example, by default will not try to automatically connect to an ad-hoc network that it has connected to before). Maybe the iPad does as well?

-- Nathan

3. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

haven't tried it yet since I just installed my first 4.2.1 GM today. I'll have to wait until tonight to try it. Surely someone else will have answered by then though. I haven't used MyWi since installing 4.2.1.

I can't remember now if it did the same thing prior because usually when I was done tethering to the iPad I shut off MyWi and wouldn't start it up again until the iPad was one. But even when I turn iPad on first, then activate MyWi, the iPad auto connected as soon as it found the signal.

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Just tried it out and mine does do the same thing. Won't reconnect to MyWi upon wake up. Have to go into settings to get it back. I'm not too knowledgeable on networks so I don't know if something to do with the iPad or MyWi.

5. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I had this problem... simple solution.

Go into settings > wi-fi > blue arrow next to your MyWi network > Auto-Join > On

6. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

I use tetherMe on my iPhone To enable bluetooth Internet tethering and connect via itether on the iPad.
    This is a direct Bluetooth connection which seems to be faster than mywi

7. davidjacobs21 macrumors regular

Ive seen this tetherme solution a few times on these forums, but am still a little confused about. Does my ipad or iphone need to be jailbroken to get this to work or both? Thanks

8. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I just had a herp derp moment. Thanks for pointing that out. I feel like an idiot now.

9. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I did too when I figured it out. :D

*shame*

10. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

my iphone and ipad are jailbroken

11. jallenclark macrumors regular

Does the Ipad need to be jailbroken too?

12. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

Does this process work on a macbook/iMac/un-JB iPad?