Issue with new AEBS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LSUtigers03, Jan 5, 2010.

1. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I bought a new AEBS yesterday and went home to set it up. First my MacBook had an exclamation point on the airport icon telling me there was no internet connection. I reset the router and started over. Now the AEBS is set up. The preferences say its connected with an ip address and it has a DNS server. The airport utility is reporting no errors. The problem is that nothing in my house will connect to the internet if it's going through the router. If I connect to the modem the internet works great but not through the router. I don't understand why I can't get online when it seems like there are no errors and everything should be working. I'm ready to give up on the AEBS it's the second one I've had and its never worked right. The cheap linksys I had before worked great but for some reason the AEBS has given me nothing but problems. I'm looking for any help I can get.

2. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

3. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I just went through the normal setup. What kind of configurations are you looking for?

4. Palleraa macrumors member

I wanne bet the issue is your internet providers settings. I have seen a few strange setups. My parrents has a cable modem and it locks to the MAC adress, I need to call the company if I want another thing connected to the modem. Who is your provider? Have you called them?

The AEBS is the best that have happened to my internet usage since I got my 20/20 Mbit connection.

/PalleRaa

5. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

My amateur guess is that it's a DNS issue. Try Google's new DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4 ... Plug those into the DNS settings on the AEBS manually and see if it works.

6. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

My ISP is Cox Communications. I haven't called them about it yet. I've connected plenty of devices before and I've never had to call them to add a new one. I'm borrowing a router from work to see if a different router will work.

EDIT: The router and AEBS are both sitting on my TV stand with my TV, PS3, Xbox 360, and DVR. Could this be causing a problem? Should the modem and router be off by themselves?

7. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

No that will be fine.

You have got DHCP running on both the modem and the AEBS have you?

To check your config, go in to Airport utility, then select Manual Setup and that will show you loadsa stuff

8. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche