Issue with new Apple TV and Apple remote?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by D1vang, Jul 30, 2014.

1. D1vang macrumors newbie

I just received a brand new Apple TV as a gift from a friend who had one the thing during a raffle at her job. She already has a Roku so she decided to give me the Apple Tv since she knows I use apple products.

So its up to date, and its the newest model from what I can see from the ID and it included the newer aluminum remote. Here's where the problems come in

I noticed that if it's been put to sleep, and i turn it back on after a couple of hours or overnight, the remote sometimes doesn't register the longer clicks, like holding select to change/hide icons, or holding select to bring up the options for audio/subtitles during netflix, and it just acts like a single click button. I also noticed that when it is working and I click and hold select that the white light on the apple tv will blink and turn off indicating I'm holding the button. When it acts like a single click button and doesn't register the holding of the select button the white light will just blink once and come back on and not stay off till I release it like it should.

Another thing is the play/pause button doesn't work either along with the select button when I'm holding it to sleep the apple tv. It just acts like a single click button. When its acting strange like this the remote clicks I press sometimes don't even register and I have to press a button again.

The ONLY way I can get it back to function normal is if I have to hold the remote RIGHT up front the apple tv, like nearly touching the front and cover the front of the apple tv and remote with my hand (theory was maybe I block any interference from light or anything else so only the remote and apple tv were receiving the singal) and remote and press and hold the select or pause/play button and functionality will come back finally.

I don't know whats causing this, I'm starting to think its the Apple tv thats faulty and not the remote. I'm not sure if I can do anything about it since it was won at a raffle and not bought at the store. Any ideas or thoughts or experiences would help. If it helps any I can even take a video of when its not working to show you.

2. jay47 macrumors member

Common behavior when the battery in the remote needs replacing . Just because its new don't mean the battery is still good . For 2 bucks its worth a try .

3. cynics macrumors G4

It does sound like the behavior mine has when the battery is dying.

Try a reset (down + menu until the light blinks rapidly). Then an iTunes restore.

If that doesn't fix it I'd take it to an Apple store see if they can help you out (replace the AppleTV and or remote).