Issue with New Internal Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MrkHamilton, Dec 7, 2012.

1. MrkHamilton macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an old end of 2007 white macbook that came with a 120GB HDD. A couple days ago the HDD died and I could not do anything to save it aside from installing lenux Mint and saving my information. I purchased a WD 500GB hard drive and put it into the computer, but when i put in the disk i got when i bought the laptop it thinks about it and then a few minutes later it kicks it out. I am trying to just start from scratch with no luck. I have been able to run Mint and format the new HDD but the problem is that I am not sure which option to choose or whether any of them will help me solve this problem. I am not a computer person and have used youtube to get as far as I am now. any ideas on what i can do. I dont have the option to connect two computers or anything like that so maybe i am SOL but i hope someone has an idea that saves my life/day.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like your optical drive is bad. Was it working okay before all this?

Do you have access to another Mac where maybe you could use that DVD to make a USB key installer. That way you could install from the USB key even though the optical drive is bad.