Issue with NSTask (probably very simple)

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by uberamd, Apr 11, 2010.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I am writing a GUI application that calls the command line utility /usr/bin/xmllint. I am going to grab the output from the command and display it, however I am having issues getting it to even execute properly. Here is my code chunk:

Code:
    -(IBAction)validateButtonClicked:(id)sender
    {
    	NSString* xsdValue = [xsdPathBar stringValue];
    	NSString* xmlValue = [xmlPathBar stringValue];
    	if( [xsdValue isEqualToString:@""] || [xmlValue isEqualToString:@""] )
    	{
    		[outBox setStringValue:@"You must select both an XML file and XSD file"];
    	} else {

NSString* xmllintArgs = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"--noout --schema %@ %@", xsdValue, xmlValue];
    		NSLog(@"%@", xmllintArgs);

NSTask *xmllint;
    		xmllint = [[NSTask alloc] init];
    		[xmllint setLaunchPath:@"/usr/bin/xmllint"];
    		[xmllint setArguments:[NSArray arrayWithObjects:(NSString*)xmllintArgs, NULL]];
    		[xmllint launch];

[xmllint release];
    		xmllint = nil;

[outBox setStringValue:@"OK!"];
    	}
    }

Here is the console output:

However when I copy and paste the EXACT same command in terminal it works perfectly:

Can anyone diagnose what may be wrong with my code that is causing it to fail on me?

2. JoshDC macrumors regular

Each argument has to be a separate object in the NSArray, that is the arguments should be [NSArray arrayWithObjects:mad:"--noout", @"--schema", xsdValue, xmlValue, nil];

3. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

That works perfectly, thank you! Makes sense now that I think about it. I am almost done with this but I am having one more issue with the UI.

I have a NSTextField (outBox) inside of a NSScrollView. I set the contents of the outBox to the output string, however that allows the scroll view to horizontal scroll. Is there any way to restrict the ScrollView from horizontally scrolling? I would like it to instead wrap the text and just vertically scroll.

Currently my code is:

Code:
    [outBox setStringValue:output];
    [outBox sizeToFit];

I understand why it is doing the HZ scroll, because I am calling sizeToFit, but I cant figure out any other way to make the outBox NSTextField only vertically resize and wrap text. Any help would be appreciated.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I'm unfamiliar with the NSTextField but in UITextFields in interface builder, you select the text box and in the properties there are checkboxes for Horizontal scroll, Vertical scroll, scroll enabled... I just set them to have vertical scroll and scroll enabled. Then when I paste in long lines they just wrap to the next line.