Resolved Issue with playing itunes movie audio through Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Narked Diver, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Narked Diver, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

Narked Diver macrumors regular

Narked Diver

Hi there,

I am having difficulty when I try and play the audio from a movie in itunes via airplay to my Apple TV

The picture on my tv screen is frozen and there is not audio even though itunes says the movie is playing

My set up is as follows

I have a Mac mini attached to my tv via a hdmi cable

The audio for the Mac mini is set to airplay to my Apple TV

My Apple TV is connected via optical to my home theatre system

The reason that I have done it this way is that my tv only has one hdmi connection and my home theatre system only has optical in

This set up works fine for playing videos through vlc - video goes to tv, audio goes to external speakers via Apple TV

It works fine for playing music from itunes - audio goes external speakers via Apple TV

However when I try and play movies from itunes nothing happens

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Cheers

2. asriznet, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

asriznet macrumors regular

Do you have the  TV connected to TV using HDMI as well?

Why not use homesharing? You can directly access your Mac mini contents on the  tv without worrying about HDMI or airplay.

Just gotta make sure iTunes app is open on the Mac mini

Edit: just realize ur TV only has 1 HDMI connection, I would connect that to the  TV instead and if I need to view the Mac screen, use airplay mirroring, that if ur mac supports it.

3. Narked Diver thread starter macrumors regular

Narked Diver

Hi

I did have my system set up that way but unfortunately if the Mac mini reboots (after software update or after a power cut) it looses the connection to airplay and I have to use logmein on my iPad to change the Mac mini settings again

Is there anyway to set the system defaults so that airplay is the default for audio and video after a reboot?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you do know your mac has optical out?
    all macs have had this for quite some time

you just need a toslink to mini cable which plugs right into the headphone jack.

or if you already have the cable, you can get an adapter, that converts a regular toslink to a mini connector.

5. Narked Diver thread starter macrumors regular

Narked Diver

I knew my mac had an optical out but I didn't realise that there was an adapter to convert it to toslink - now I just have to track one of those down in Thailand ;)

6. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

You can also look at getting a HDMI switch like this
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8462&seq=1&format=2

Allows multiple HDMI inputs to feed into 1 input. Its allowed me to keep a high end receiver I bought several years ago that only has 2 HDMI inputs. Because outside of that, the receiver is excellent. The switch I use is "auto" so it switches automatically between devices as they power on and off, though with the Mac Mini always being on you would have to use the remote to switch.

7. Narked Diver thread starter macrumors regular

Narked Diver

Thanks for the suggestions folks

I managed to get ahold of a toslink mini jack convertor and everything is working fine so the Apple TV is retired until I get a tv for the spare room