Issue with putting Snow Leopard onto USB

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chillaz, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Chillaz macrumors newbie

Hi there MacRumors users.

I purchased the 2011 MBA 13" a few days ago, and I'll be selling my 2010 15" MacBook Pro.

However, I'm trying to do a clean install on it, but my Install DVD has sadly been damaged, so I cannot use it as a source when I'm restoring in Utility onto my USB.

Now I know this might not be a good thing, but I've downloaded the Snow Leopard install DMG, as I figured I had already paid for the OS X.

However, when I restore the dmg file onto my hard drive (Yes, I've made sure it's GUID & Extended (Journal) and I hold ALT down at white screen it pops up, I select my USB but then nothing happens. It's stuck on next screen with just the apple icon.

You cannot do this with a DMG file, you need the Install DVD? Or am I forgetting something?

I'm hoping someone could help me out why this happens as I really wish to send my MBP to buyer.

Short story: I wish to do a CLEAN install on my MBP, but Install DVD is damaged - I downloaded DMG file, but doesn't work when put onto USB. HELP!

Best regards,
    Chillaz

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I think you need the specific DVD that came with that original model computer.

3. Chillaz thread starter macrumors newbie

I see :( **** sake, no idea what I should do that :(

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I don't think you need a specific version of SL, your downloaded image, if it's the retail version then follow this guide to install the image to the usb drive. From then you can boot from the usb and clean install SL.

5. Chillaz thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought, and I found a retail DMG file, followed the guide but when I select the external hard drive it's stuck on white screen with apple icon in middle afterwards. It doesn't load or anything.

6. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I would suggest you try to do it again and see if that helps.

7. Chillaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, tried everything for 5 hours. Not sure why it's going wrong :(

Anyway, thanks for help.