Issue with screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phisiker, Jul 27, 2012.

1. phisiker macrumors newbie

Hey I've had this Macbook Pro since 2008 so it's old enough but last year is started developing this problem where after a few days of use it would freeze and these diagonal lines would pop across the screen(see attached photos), a restart might fix it or have the same problem from the beginning, multiple restarts eventually fixed it only for it to return a few days later again. Now it barely lasts a few mins even before freezing. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and found the cause? I"m curious if it would be an expensive or not so expensive repair

Attached Files:

2. Queen6, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You may be out of luck, if the GPU is to fault the Logic Board has to be replaced. I too have an Early 2008 15" MBP 2.4 Penryn it has served me extremely well, however i have always been mindful of this flaw, mine has never exhibited and graphical issues. Speak to Apple if you are in the window less than four years from point purchase they will replace the Logic Board gratis, ask nicely and they may even still, if past the four year point costs nothing to ask.

Try keeping the GPU below 70C I am using UltraFan, it will help to extend the machines lifecycle, as beyond 70C the packaging is more prone to failing, elevating the back of the notebook will also help with air circulation. You can monitor the systems temperatures with iStat or for greater detail bresink temperature monitor.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Symptoms
    In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

What to look for:

Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
    No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
    Specific products affected:

MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors
    MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz)
    MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
    MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
    These computers were manufactured between approximately May 2007 and September 2008

3. jhyt89 macrumors newbie

i have the same problem but with a new macbook pro 13 inch 2012...

4. Queen6, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Run the Apple hardware test; fully shutdown the machine restart holding down the "D" key if it passes your issue is software related, if it fails time to speak with Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4510

Use Apple Hardware Test;
    Open the Help Viewer’s Action pop-up menu (looks like a gear) and choose Print to print these instructions.
    Disconnect all external devices except the keyboard, mouse, display, and speakers. If you have an Ethernet cable or external DVD drive, disconnect them. Restart your computer, holding down the “D” key while the computer restarts. After your computer restarts, you should see the Apple Hardware Test chooser screen. If you don’t, Apple Hardware Test may not be available on your computer. You may be able to start Apple Hardware Test from the Internet. Reconnect your computer to the network, and then restart your computer while holding down both the Option and “D” keys.

When the Apple Hardware Test chooser screen appears, select the language you want to use, and then press the Return key or click the right arrow button. When the Apple Hardware Test main screen appears (after about 45 seconds), follow the onscreen instructions.

5. mdapple macrumors regular