Issue with selecting multiple items in Finder list view

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maknik, Oct 20, 2009.

1. maknik macrumors regular

Maybe this was discussed elsewhere; if so, I couldn't find it:

Often I need to select multiple separate items from a large folder of them; I use list view, and command-click on each item, and then drag the whole batch to the appropriate location. It appears that in Snow Leopard (unlike previous OS X versions), when if I scroll down the list to select further items, it jumps back to the top-most selected item after a couple seconds. This makes it completely impossible to select further items! Is there a preference to turn this "function" off? Why would anyone want such a thing? Even if it is what the Finder is meant to do, it seems implemented poorly, since if I grab the scrollbar slider and drag it down below my selected items, after the couple seconds the view jumps back to the topmost item, but the slider doesn't move. All it all, it feels like a glitch. Anyone have any ideas? Apologies if discussed elsewhere and I missed it.

(10.6.1 on a Summer 2009 MacBook Pro 15").

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ideas:

try other Views, just to see if it behaves?

corrupt com.apple.finder.plist file?

try in another user account?

3. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Close and re-open the window, and try again.

I've experienced things like this (and bugged them to Apple). One example I have is dragging a picture from Safari into a Finder window in List view. Drag a picture from Safari onto the Finder window but don't let it come to the front. Drag another picture into the same Finder window. It won't work. Close the Finder window and re-open it, and it all works properly.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Don't personally have this issue and I do what your doing several times a day.

5. maknik thread starter macrumors regular

I trashed the plist and relaunched finder, and that seemed to fix it. Oddly, it only seemed to happen when folders were in sort-by-date-modified view, but I guess something must have gotten corrupt. I'll come back if it recurs... now off to reorganize my now-scrambled desktop icons...

Thanks all for the advice.