Issue with small picture showing up when people call

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TheKingIV, Jul 28, 2010.

1. TheKingIV macrumors member

I have an iPhone 4 and for the past few weeks, I'll assign pictures to people's contacts straight from the phone and no matter how high res the picture is, it keeps popping up as a small box when they call or when I call them.

Also, when I go into the phone to edit the picture, the picture itself has terrible resolution...Much worse than when I originally designated that picture for that person.

I think I've figured out the issue and I would love help in solving this. I have all my contacts synced with my Gmail through exchange. I discovered that when I put a picture to a contact on the iPhone, it also assigns it to that person on my Gmail. I believe that because Gmail only accepts a certain size and resolution picture to show up next to a contact (small size, very low res), it reformats the picture I assign on my phone and puts the picture as it has it back on my phone to sync.

I know if a picture is too low of res, it will automatically show up small in the corner. How can I solve this issue so the picture is as big as the screen when they call?

2. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I think ever since they updated the iOS(not sure which version), the picture always come out now on the upper right corner, I miss the version where the picture is much bigger when someone's trying to call my iPhone. Unless there's a setting somewhere that will show bigger picture, let us know. :confused:

3. somosamigos macrumors newbie

I've never had a problem with that so far. Are you sure it's not pulling pictures from your facebook?

4. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

Yea I double checked that. It's all the same pictures as I assigned not the ones from Facebook.

I am almost positive Gmail is downgrading the picture because I am looking at the GoogleChat profiles now and all my friends pictures are the ones I assigned on the iPhone. When I open back up the pic on their contact on the iPhone it is all blurry. I think because of the low resolution the phone automatically makes it small when people call.

5. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

Yea I think you can still do it...My wife has an iPhone 4 that is not synced to her Gmail (I don't think) and big pictures come up when people call.

6. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

so if my pictures are synced with facebook the pictures are going to come out small?:confused:

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I sync to Address Book and my contact pics are big. I'd say it's gmail causing the problem, as you said OP.

8. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

i've had this "problem" since fw 3.0 days. it seems it just depends from where you added the pic. i use mobileme and if i added the picture from desktop with address book then it shows small on right hand corner on the incoming call. if i add it from the phone it would come "big" and fill the screen or how ever i had scaled and set it when setting the pic on phone.

9. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Agreed, it's the gmail thats making it small. I like the small picture and then only way I can get it to go small is if I use Address book to add the pictures. If it's on anything else like Facebook, the iPhone or even the iPad it makes the picture big AND lowers the resolution. It's quite annoying.