Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pierat

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
I am not sure if this is really a ML issue. In my user folder, I have a bunch of files that are documents with a size of 0 bytes. I have a feeling it could be from restoring a Carbon Copy Cloner backup. I know there are some issues with CCC making some invisible files visible on a restore. I just don't know what these files are and if they are supposed to be there or not. I would like to make sure they belong and just make them invisible if I need to leave them there. Here is a list of the file names. Do these look like the invisible files that are supposed to reside in my user folder? Can I just mark them as invisible and go about my day?

/Users/me/CWD
/Users/me/LIST
/Users/me/MKD
/Users/me/PASS
/Users/me/PORT
/Users/me/PWD
/Users/me/QUIT
/Users/me/RMD
/Users/me/SITE
/Users/me/TYPE
/Users/me/USER

Nov 28, 2010
located
Those files should not be there after a clone via CCC.

Look here for the cloned home folder:
MR2ss_2014_06_12_pA1_CCCcloneHomeFolder.png

And here is the original folder:
MR2ss_2014_06_12_pA2_CCCoriginalHomeFolder.png

That is how you restore via CCC, you boot from the clone and clone back.

As for the files, they look like Terminal commands or Perl?

pierat

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
I didn't recently do a restore with CCC. I just remember that when I did awhile back, some invisible files were showing like in your screenshots. I have shortcuts to my folders, and honestly almost never open my user folder. So I don't really know how long those have been there for, or where they came from. They open to a blank document, I can't imagine they are actually doing anything. I'd like to delete them, but I want to know what they are first. I did fiddle with some Perl scripts awhile back. I gave up on that little project, though, because I couldn't get the script to work. It could be from that, but I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.