Issue with Spaces

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jc0481, Nov 5, 2007.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

When my wife and I share the mac. I don't want her to close my browser window by accident. Which has happened before by the way. :rolleyes:
    So I jumped on the Spaces feature in Leopard. So when she needed to use the computer, I switched to the second space all fresh I thought. We both use Camino by the way as our browser. So when she started Camino it went back to Space number 1. Is this a bug or something?? I hope that there is a workaround for this. I hope somebody can help.

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

No that's the way it's meant to work. It's not a second login, it's more like a virtual second monitor.
    To keep stuff seperate you can set up seperate user accounts and just fast switch between those. Or use different browsers.

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Spaces will find the window that the app is already open in.

Personally, I would use fast user switching, but you may as well open two windows and then drag them to two different spaces and leave them open. This should sort it out. Spaces is meant for one user only.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That's the solution: You just need to train your wife to use a different browser. If you use Camino, then she should use Safari or Firefox.

On the computer in the kitchen, I always use Firefox, and my wife always uses Safari. This arrangement has led to very few problems!

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

You can set Camino to work in All Spaces. Within the System Prefs. Then open Camino in your space and in a blank default space. To be safe, set it to the default space when you leave the computer.

My wife does the same thing. I use Safari and will have 6-10 tabs open in a single window. Instead of closing the tab she's working in, she closes the whole window. There is a nice plug-in for Safari called Saft that will among other things warn the user, are you sure you want to close all tabs. Not sure if it is 10.5 compatible yet.

6. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

To be honest I think your using the wrong solution to your problem. Spaces is meant to help you organise your own windows. User profiles and Fast User Switching are there to help you with your exact program. If you just switch to your wifes profile you can be sure she wont accidently close an app you didnt want closed or delete a file thats important!

7. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Safari has a preference (under tabs) that warns you if you are closing all tabs.

8. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

open another window in your browser and drag that to your space. this will allow you both to have your own window

9. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

It is compatible now. It was a rough few days without it though!

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I guess that is new to 3.0. I am still on 10.4 and 2.x. Should be getting my 10.5 copy today.

? re: user profiles and fast user switching. I know in the past that user profiles presented a problem when it came to iPhoto and iTunes libraries. Is there an easy way in 10.4 or 10.5 to have multiple accounts access the same iTunes & iPhoto libraries so that each can add to the libraries and have changes/additions seen by both?

11. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

From Apple's site: iPhoto and iTunes

Not sure if you would call these "easy."