Issue with speakers (always on mute)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rich a, Jul 15, 2008.

1. rich a macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I seem to be having a problem.

Yesterday, a screen popped up saying that I have to restart my MBA by pressing the power button, which I did. However, since that time, I have had absolutely no sound whatsoever. When I use the keyboard to try to raise/lower the volume, I get a little circle with a line through it. This happens whether I have headphones in or not. Even at the top of the screen, where there is usually a volume control, there is just a space where it should be, next to my wireless interned indicator.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and if so, how do I fix it? It's totally driving me crazy.

Thanks!

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

This has happened to me after I installed something called sunflower. Freaked me the hell out.

A restart always solved the problem.

If you go to sys prefs, what does it say under sound output?

3. rich a thread starter macrumors newbie

Usually with things like this, a restart sorts everything out, but not this time.

The thing that bothers me is that under system preferences/sound putput, it says "no output devices found."

4. hhalbert macrumors newbie

Me, too.

I am having the same problem. I didn't download anything. Any thoughts?

5. stoconnell macrumors 6502

Take a look at the following thread and some of the threads mentioned.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=683430

Have you looked at System Preferences? Have you looked for an audio controller in System Profiler?