Issue with SSD in new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrchopleyrules, Nov 21, 2011.

1. mrchopleyrules macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 MBP, I swapped out the DVD for a 256GB SSD as boot device and swapped the original 500GB HDD for a 1TB HDD. It all works fine and does exactly what I wanted.

However the 8GB limit was causing me issues running many VMs so I got tempted by a 2011 MBP (which supports 16GB RAM). But, and I suspect I have missed something very obvious here, when I swapped the 1TB and the SSD into the new MBP - it did not boot.

So I put the new HDD back in and it boots but says it cannot read the SSD?
    I declined the king offer to initialise the drive ;)

Does anyone know what it is I have missed?

Thanks in advance!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

What OS did you have on the drive? Did you get a kernel panic on boot? What did it say? (boot in verbose mode)

3. mrchopleyrules thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, the old SSD has 10.6.8, there was no message just the apple icon and a 10 minute wait for something to happen!

The new MBP came with Lion on it.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

New one has Thunderbolt, old one doesn't. May well be a driver issue as the 2011's came with a build that included the drivers.

5. mrchopleyrules thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers - so are you saying the old 10.6 will not work in the new MBP?

6. sfoalex macrumors 6502

You need to initialize the drive under 10.7.2 and start clean I think.

7. Ant.honey macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I also believe that is correct. Not an SSD issue, but an OS one.

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

The last of the retail releases of SL was 10.6.3. Everything after the thunderbolt refresh in early 2011 came with a special 10.6.6 build that supported Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt. The 10.6.7 patch was forked between non and have Tbolt machines and then the 10.6.8 patch was released to support Lion upgrades.

All the third party drive repairs that I'm aware of (Techtool Pro, Drive Warrior, etc) all had to work around the fact that their apps could no longer boot many of the Tbolt devices. There were substantial changes with Sandy Bridge.

I haven't tried it personally, so part is speculation I'll freely admit, but given third party issues and Apples firm stance that you can't run a lesser OS than what the machine came with I think you may have a hard road ahead.

Now..that said.. come up with an Early 2011 set of restore discs for your machine that ran SL and I'd say you have a solid chance of success, as the late 2011's really weren't more than a CPU and drive spec bump.

9. mrchopleyrules thread starter macrumors newbie

many thanks to all who have replied - your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

So if I understand correctly, I need to move all the data off the old SSD , then move the caddy and SSD into the new one, boot it with the new HDD, re-initalize the SSD and then install Lion.

I can then copy all my old data back on (e.g. from time-capsule disk).

Does that sound right or have I missed something (again!).