Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I have an iPhone 12 (and pretty sure I will be keeping it for another year) but I have an issue using the built in Calculator app. Lots of times, when I tap on various numbers (7 is the worse culprit) the tap will not be recognized. I generally open the calculator from the Control Panel but the same thing seems to happen when I unlock the phone and tap on the calculator app icon. Otherwise tapping on the same area of the screen seems to work fine.
Anyone else have similar issues? Any ideas?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Does it happen regardless of which finger you use? Another possibility is you may be tapping numbers too quickly in succession. I just tried to "speed tap" 1-9, and I got 336699, LOL! But if I tap them at a relaxed pace, they all respond correctly.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Does it happen regardless of which finger you use? Another possibility is you may be tapping numbers too quickly in succession. I just tried to "speed tap" 1-9, and I got 336699, LOL! But if I tap them at a relaxed pace, they all respond correctly.

That issue with fast typing happens to me too.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
So much for "fastest CPU in an iPhone ever".
I've got a 6 year old iPhone 6 on iOS 9 and no matter how fast I tap on the calculator- it always keeps up even when trying to make it fail.

Supermanneke

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
Very recognizable. I'm an Apple adapt for 20 years now. Apple has a calculator issue. Just type in 1-till-9 a couple of times and you notice that the 4, 5, 7 and the 8 will not be typed and/or hangs. After a year of hoping in vain the iPhone updates (2x iOS 14 and 3 x iOS 15 updates) would fix the issue. They did not. I own a financial company and yesterday I got annoyed of having to use an external calculator all the time, that went to the iphone store. They first changed my screen, waited 2,5 hours. That did not help. Then the storemanager told the genius bar to give me a completely new iPhone 12 pro. At home I noticed the new iPhone, just out of the box (before restoring my iphone backup), has exactly the same problem. See enclosed photo of my 2 hours old iPhone 12 Pro with a hanging 7 and 8. APPLE: Fix your calculator software. Really!

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    375.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
None of my iPhones (4 of them) have any issues with the built in calculator on any version of iOS.
They all register accurate taps no matter how fast I tap in numbers (way faster than I’d ever normally do)

Supermanneke

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
The issue has got nothing to do with fastness, the iPhone processor can handle fast. (By the way, pressing it fast and firmly only brings stress and RSI.) When one uses calculators a lot you learn to type it softly and quick. Unfortunately that's where the iPhone calculators problem lies. You can still hear the Apple button click-sound when you hit the buttons, but some number it will not registrate or the buttons hang/keep lighting up.You you get 1235689 in your screen instead of 123456789. Just checked it on the iPhone 11 of my wife and iPhone SE 2020 of my son, the same calculator issue. Fix your calculator Apple.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Very recognizable. I'm an Apple adapt for 20 years now. Apple has a calculator issue. Just type in 1-till-9 a couple of times and you notice that the 4, 5, 7 and the 8 will not be typed and/or hangs. After a year of hoping in vain the iPhone updates (2x iOS 14 and 3 x iOS 15 updates) would fix the issue. They did not. I own a financial company and yesterday I got annoyed of having to use an external calculator all the time, that went to the iphone store. They first changed my screen, waited 2,5 hours. That did not help. Then the storemanager told the genius bar to give me a completely new iPhone 12 pro. At home I noticed the new iPhone, just out of the box (before restoring my iphone backup), has exactly the same problem. See enclosed photo of my 2 hours old iPhone 12 Pro with a hanging 7 and 8. APPLE: Fix your calculator software. Really!
FF8B9773-9AD7-4C75-BBCA-CF1F7407EDCF.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.