Issue with Time Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrBob910, Sep 16, 2011.

1. MrBob910 macrumors newbie

To make long story short, I restored my entire HD from Time Machine backups by selecting the HD in the Star War display and clicking Restore. After the restore process was done, the HD Used space doubled (according to command+I). It went from 100GB to 213GB. I was on the phone with Apple tech support for over 90 minutes. The case was escalated to the second level support but the problem remains unsolved. I will be calling the tech support back to continue where we left off. Meanwhile, any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

This is a 2011 MBP shipped with Lion.

2. GrayEagle macrumors newbie

Use command+R at boot up to do a complete restore from Time Machine backups.

The star war display is for partial restore.

3. MrBob910 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found that out a little too late. I did a full restore or at least I thought I did using the star war display. I got all of my missing files back and more. I found this link http://web.me.com/pondini/AppleTips/DiskSpace.html after the fact as well. At this point it looks like the only thing left is to restore the notebook back to original and start over. Aside from losing the 100+ GB of space, the notebook is working flawlessly.

4. MrBob910 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried to restore Lion from the recovery partition. Everything went well (approximately 2 hours) until the system completed the process and rebooted. After the reboot process all I got was the continous spinning ball under the Apple logo. This went on for about 5 hours. At that point I decided to reboot the machine and was told that installation failed. The only way I can restart the recovery process was to boot the system by holding down option+command+p+r keys. Hopefully, it will be a success the second time around.